- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 21, 2021
Discord is looking for a product and privacy counsel to join our growing legal department. This is a high-impact role at one of the most interesting companies on the planet!
As Product and Privacy counsel, you will help shape our approach to privacy and product compliance, advising the business as we launch new features and expand our user base across the world. Reporting to our Director, Product & Privacy Law, you’ll be the first hire on this growing part of our legal team, and you will have a significant impact on how Legal and Discord grows.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on ...
What you’ll be doing
- Partner with engineering and product teams to identify the risks and rewards associated with new features and strategies
- Provide actionable advice to minimize legal risks while advancing goals and objectives
- Collaborate and drive projects to resolution with several partners, including product managers, engineers, designers, Policy, and Trust & Safety.
- Be one of our experts on issues related to privacy, e-commerce, payments, platform liability, and more
- Build out and support an overall privacy compliance framework that scales with the company
What you should have
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- 4+ years experience at a well-respected law firm or in-house legal department
- Ability to internalize the business’s priorities, think creatively, exercise judgment, and translate legal requirements into actionable (and flexible) advice
- Familiarity with global privacy laws
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage projects effectively
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented company
- Experience advising on issues related to platform liability, payments, accessibility, telecommunications laws, and trust and safety
- Experience with foreign legal systems
- Programming or gaming skills
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays + 4 weeks of PTO
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.