- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
Communities play a huge part in Discord’s mission. Millions of people come to Discord every day to hang out in communities for all kinds of interests, from servers where thousands of Harry Potter fans connect and geek out, to servers where students practice speaking new languages with native speakers halfway across the world.
At the heart of communities are the admins and moderators who build and run them. The Online Communities Group at Discord is responsible for empowering these creators to build thriving spaces that many people call their second home. We believe helping creators succeed is pivotal to creating more healthy communities.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, creative, hands-on, and mission-focused Engineering Manager on our Communities Engagement team to partner with other teams across the organization. You will be responsible for the engineers building out new exciting features used by millions of communities across Discord. This role will own the creation and organization of this team to support our growth plans, including recruiting for the ICs of those teams and ensuring their success.
What you’ll do
- Build highly-engaged teams by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact in your engineers.
- Work cross-functionally with our Customer Experience, Product, Design, and Marketing teams to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding the customer and business needs.
- Use your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Develop insights into issues slowing down the team and use it to develop processes that enable the team to deliver its goals.
- Mentor and guide the careers of the engineers through coaching and finding opportunities that support their technical skillset and goals.
- Make sound decisions around resourcing, and make the rationale clear to partners and team members.
- Partner with Revenue leadership on strategic planning and continuously improve the Engineering organization while upholding our workplace philosophy.
What we look for
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 2+ years of experience as a people manager.
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You are motivated to help your team members succeed and have experience developing engineers of multiple levels.
- You approach problems from first principles.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and get excited about working collaboratively to figure out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- You have a strong product sense and take pride in understanding your customers.
- Code does not scare you, you are still an engineer even if you don’t do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and can assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.