- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 22, 2021
- Product Engineering
Discord’s production engineering teams are creating the future of how we build and operate Discord. We are in the middle of a transformation from a monolithic, tightly coupled, single-region infrastructure to a service oriented, international, platform-minded future.
As head of our production engineering teams and reporting to the Head of Infrastructure, you will lead the strategic vision, growth, and organization of these teams. You will oversee the entire Engineering organization’s ability to build and ship services quickly and safely while delivering an amazing experience to hundreds of millions of users.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you’ll be doing
- Lead multiple teams by hiring, coaching, and creating an environment that enables success
- Oversee vision setting and roadmap creation for the production engineering department by working with your leads, teams, and executive partners across the company
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to improve the team and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results
- Partner with teams across the company to build a platform that supports our Infrastructure, Data, and Product engineering organizations
- Build an organization that prioritizes engineering excellence, reliability and predictable delivery, paving the golden path with best practices, effective metrics, SLOs
- Work with other Directors to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- You have 5+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and managed groups of 3+ Engineering Managers and 15+ Software Engineers
- You have 2+ years of experience managing other Managers
- You have experience hiring and growing senior leaders and managers
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking
- You are passionate about building a high-functioning organization in a high-growth startup
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new tools to use to solve technical problems
- Experience defining and building new teams and departments from scratch
- Experience managing vendor relationships, negotiating contracts, and forecasting budgets
- Experience building high-leverage surfaces in the critical path for all of engineering
- Experience managing high availability infrastructure that hundreds of millions of people depend on
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.