- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 21, 2021
- Product Engineering
Communities play a huge part in Discord’s mission. Millions of people come to Discord every day to hang out in communities for all kinds of interests, from servers where thousands of Harry Potter fans connect and geek out, to servers where students practice speaking new languages with native speakers halfway across the world.
At the heart of communities are the admins and moderators who build and run them. The Online Communities Group at Discord is responsible for empowering these creators to build thriving spaces that many people call their second home. We believe helping creators succeed is pivotal to creating more healthy communities.
We’re looking for a Product Manager reporting to our Communities Product Lead to join us and lead our Community Engagement team. You will be responsible for building tools and features that help millions of admins and mods build more engaging and active communities.
What you’ll be doing
- Drive the product philosophy, vision, and roadmap for features and tools that empower admins and moderators to build more active and healthy communities.
- Innovate and create new ways for members in a community to come together, talk, and build meaningful relationships, like growing our new Stage channel feature.
- Work with a team of engineers, designers, and data scientists to build delightful world-class products.
- Work with our other Communities team to define the future of online communities and build a playbook that can enable more successful communities.
- Empathize with admins and moderators by building long-term relationships with many of our community creators. Become their trusted advocate and help them do their job sustainably.
What you should have
- Ability to thrive in ambiguous environments, excited about finding solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- 5+ years experience building and shipping great software, including responsibilities driving prioritization, trade-offs, and timelines.
- 2+ years product management experience.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency and effectiveness working closely with engineers.
- Proven track record of shipping products from design to deployment.
- Proven ability to analyze and synthesize data, including writing SQL.
- Strong product sense and pride in understanding your customers
- A love for helping & empowering others.
- Have helped build communities before as an admin or moderator.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant technical experience.
- Strong sense of delightful UI and UX design.