- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Software Engineering
Discord’s Apps & Activities department is responsible for the support, success, and business growth of external developers using the Discord APIs to provide services, tools, and entertainment.
Our APIs currently support thousands of bots on millions of servers, and our games platform has multiple social games from our own developers and partners. These ecosystems allow communities to expand Discord to be what exactly what they need it to be. They are a flywheel of invention and creativity which we enthusiastically support.
Discord is looking for an experienced, technical, and mission-driven Director of Engineering to lead our Apps & Activities department and scale it to meet our own and our ecosystems’ future. You will report directly into the leader of Product Engineering, and will therefore have significant leadership and influence on the evolution of Discord’s overall Engineering organization.
What you’ll be doing
- Build and lead multiple teams of highly-engaged managers and engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Collaborate with your peer on the Product side to provide the vision and culture for the Apps & Activities department by working with your leads, teams and executive partners across the company
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to continually improve the team and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results.
- Work with other Directors to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- Partner with the Business Development leads and the leaders of the Games team to successfully support growth in external activities
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 5+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed groups of 3+ Engineering Managers and 15+ Software Engineers.
- You have 2+ years of experience managing other Managers.
- You have experience hiring and growing senior leaders and managers
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You’ve collaborated with external developer communities before, and successfully worked with BD on external partnerships
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but secretly love getting elbow deep in architecture design when the opportunities arise.
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new tools to use to solve technical problems.
- Experience defining and building new teams and departments from scratch
- API design experience
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.