- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
- Software Engineering
Discord is about giving people the power to create space to find belonging in their lives. Trusted by millions of people to keep their communications secure, private, and out of the hands of evildoers, security and privacy are necessary to Discord’s success.
We are looking for an Application Security Engineering Manager reporting to the Head Of Security to join us in building secure and private applications for our users! If you are an Engineering Manager with a passion for security and privacy, a deep sense of curiosity, and an endless desire to improve Discord for our users, read on!
What you’ll be doing
- Recruit and lead a team of security engineers who will build and implement application security tools and services, perform secure design reviews and threat modeling, and provide guidance on secure development at Discord.
- Secure our code and development process from laptop to production.
- Scale detection and remediation of security vulnerabilities.
- Work with other Discord teams to limit security exposure to our users, while also shaking out security bugs before they enter production.
- Partner with Discord’s product management teams to champion new security features for our users.
What you should have:
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and have managed a team of 3+ Security Engineers.
- You have 3+ years of experience as a Security Engineer working on systems with millions of users.
- You have experience programming in at least one general purpose programming language (e.g. Python, Rust, Go).
- You have experience with tools used to automate vulnerability discovery and remediation.
- You have experience operating in cloud-based environments (we use Google Cloud, but experience with other platforms is ok too).
- You have experience with container orchestration technologies (e.g. Kubernetes).
- You are comfortable writing the roadmap - not just following one.
- Working knowledge of modern and frequently used cryptographic primitives.
- Experience with Linux system administration.
- Familiar with common application vulnerabilities on the platforms Discord ships on (that’s all of them).
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance (options for individual and/or family, including One Medical membership for health) and Disability benefits
- Commuter subsidies, healthcare and/or Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 4 weeks of PTO (alongside 14 paid holidays and use-what-you-need sick days)
- Parental Leave
- Well-being programs, including fitness allowance (we have yoga once a week in our office!)
- 401(K) plans
- Catered lunches Monday-Friday and a fully-stocked kitchen (snacks and beverages galore!)
- Regular company and team social events such as game nights, happy hours and events
- An annual desk fund to make your space truly yours
- Headphone allowance
- Internal Learning and Development workshops to help with continued personal and professional growth
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.