- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- May. 17, 2021
- Software Engineering
Discord’s Core Infrastructure team is responsible for the central systems that support our more than 11,500,000 concurrent users, ranging from our real-time Elixir services to how we store billions of messages in Cassandra. The team’s central mission is to ensure Discord just works — delivering a reliable, scalable infrastructure capable of supporting a globally distributed, massively concurrent userbase.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to lead our Core Infrastructure team to help us scale to the next level. As a manager responsible for the Core Infrastructure team, you will have significant leadership and impact on the evolution of Discord’s crucial core systems and architecture.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you’ll be doing
- Build and lead an exceptional team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Drive the technical vision and roadmap for the Core Infrastructure team by collaborating with your team and stakeholders across the company.
- Manage processes and leverage your technical expertise to continually raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers.
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You have a proven record of building and deploying high-scale distributed systems in a modern cloud-first world, but still, understand that the cloud is built on actual hardware and networks and what that means.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but secretly love to roll up your sleeves and getting elbow deep in code when the opportunities arise.
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new technologies to leverage to solve technical problems.
- Experience working with the Erlang VM.
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform.
- Strong open-source leadership or contributions.
- Been a leader at a growing startup and seen what could happen next.
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.