- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
- Software Engineering
Join our journey to create the best application for messaging and real-time interactions! Our team’s mission is to make the building blocks engineers can use to create the Discord messaging experience. Practically speaking, it means we design and operate the core backend systems allowing our 150M users to send and receive billions of messages daily.
As an Engineering Manager, you will guide us as we create a best in class messaging infrastructure, allowing Discord to be the de-facto platform for communities of any size. You will report to the Manager of the Chat Infrastructure group.
What you’ll do
- Build a team of engaged engineers through coaching and hiring.
- Guide the technical vision and roadmap for Discord’s Messaging Infrastructure by working with your team and partners across the company.
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to ensure your team achieves extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 1+ year of experience as an Engineering Manager.
- You’re a mentor, storyteller, and you’re great at coordinating with a variety of teams throughout the company.
- You excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding solutions to complex technical challenges, and then building them.
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You’ve worked with high scale distributed systems used by tens of millions of users.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but love to code when the opportunity arises.
- You keep up with the industry trends and grow your knowledge and skill to solve technical problems.
- Experience writing backend services in Rust.
- Experience working with large-scale databases like Cassandra/Scylla or Elasticsearch.
- You have open-source leadership or contributions.
- You have been a leader at a company experiencing hyper-growth and seen what could happen next.
- We take care of our team with comprehensive Medical (HMO or PPO), Dental, and Vision plans at no cost for employees
- Paid family leave for new parents and 14-days PTO
- Fully subsidized commuter and parking benefit
- Gym allowance
- Awesome daily catered lunches and snacks