- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jan. 12, 2022
- Software Engineering
The Bots & API team empowers external developers to build creative and diverse experiences for our users. Millions of people use bots on Discord every day to manage communities, play games with friends, listen to music, and so much more. We are a small but mighty team that supports everything from the most popular bots to developers building their first applications.
Bots play a huge part in Discord’s mission of creating a new kind of place where it’s easy to genuinely communicate, have fun hanging out, and build relationships. We believe developers are the future of Discord and have exciting plans for the next year. Come join us and help build the future of our platform!
What you’ll do
- Build SDKs, tools, and a new portal to empower developers to use our latest bot features (such as slash commands, buttons, and more)!
- Collaborate with engineers, product, design, and other team members on what the future looks like for bots and developers on Discord
- Iterate with your peers and learn the best ways to support a vibrant and productive developer community
What you should have
- Full stack experience. Familiarity with web and application (e.g. React, TypeScript, Python), API
- You care a LOT about developers. You have a desire to empower developers with high-quality experiences, and want to give our dev community more ways to express their creativity and build exciting apps.
- A holistic approach to problem solving. You believe in solving a problem from first principles rather than simply shipping a solution. You learn from your mistakes and work through obstacles with the rest of the team.
- A focus on impact & growth. The Discord bot ecosystem is in its infancy, and we have a long way to go! You have an eye for what can bring the developer experience from good to great. You want to work with engineers, product managers, designers, and the external dev community to define great solutions to ambiguous problems.
- You’ve shipped applications built on top of developer APIs
- You have knowledge of the Discord developer experience
- You can provide examples of open-source contributions to community libraries and tools
Benefits And Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16 paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out.