- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jan. 12, 2022
- Software Engineering
Discord is about creating a space for everyone to find belonging in their lives. Hundreds of millions of people use Discord every week to have meaningful interactions.
The mission of the Discovery & Notifications team at Discord is to help users connect and engage with the online communities to create this belonging. We are working on enabling our users’ experiences with search, recommendations, and smart notifications. We are just starting to build these ML driven user experiences and if you are someone who is passionate about building things from scratch, this could be a great opportunity for you!
What you’ll be doing
- Design and build machine learning systems for retrieval, ranking and personalization.
- Collaborate with stakeholders throughout the company such as, leaders in product, data science, and engineering
- Build generalizable infrastructure for recommendations.
What you should have
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a quantitative field including Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Statistics or other quantitative fields.
- 5+ years of software development experience, or 3+ years with an advanced degree.
- Worked with large scale search / adsML / recommendation systems.
- Deep understanding of seminal approaches to retrieval and ranking.
- You’ve worked with distributed systems deployed at scale.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
Benefits And Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16 paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out.
If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!