- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
- Software Engineering
Join us to work on what makes Discord feel like a live and upbeat place! Our team’s mission is to create the primitives allowing us to connect our users to one another in realtime. Practically speaking, it means we design and operate the core backend systems that our 150M users use to join their servers, have chats with their friends and receive notifications when something interesting is happening on Discord. As a Software Engineer in the Realtime Infrastructure team you will report to the manager of the Chat Infrastructure group.
What you’ll be doing
- Build large-scale backend systems.
- Work with product teams to add new features.
- Ensure that our systems are reliable and that Discord just works.
- Write code but also manage our infrastructure.
- Work with an accomplished team of engineers who have built one of the largest communication platforms in the world.
What you should have
- 2+ years of experience working with backend systems
- You understand the basics of observability and monitoring.
- You excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding solutions to complex technical challenges
- Comfortable reading and writing code in large existing codebases
- Experience with Elixir, Erlang or Rust.
- Experience working with systems deployed in a cloud environment (GCP, AWS, etc.)
- Experience working with NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Scylla etc.) storing billions of data points.
- Knowledge of DevOps tools like Salt, Terraform or Kubernetes.
- You have built or contributed to open source projects.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
We know that diverse teams make better products, better decisions, and foster a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in. We'd love your help. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.