- Date Posted
- Oct. 27, 2021
- Product Engineering
Whether it’s to visit the people closest to us, starting an exciting adventure, or a career-defining business trip, travel is an essential part of our lives. Yet we’ve all experienced the aches and pains of getting to our destination. Today, more than 4 billion airline passengers rely on technology that hasn’t kept up with the expectations of the modern connected traveller.
That’s why we’ve started to rebuild the infrastructure that underpins the travel industry. We’re on a mission to unravel travel — simplifying systems and building the tools that will make the future of travel effortless.
We were part of Y Combinator S18’s cohort and we are backed by Benchmark, Blossom, Index Ventures and Kima Ventures. A fantastic set of investors that has helped build some of the world’s largest companies.
Our team in London is growing and we’re looking for talented people to join us on our journey.
- Something to consider when reading this job advert
We know people engage with job adverts differently. Some will view it as a checklist that needs to be at 100% before applying; others will see 60% as good enough. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily meet all the requirements on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat, learn more about you and see if it could be a great fit.
We want Duffel to be the best API for selling flights on the internet. But it isn’t just the flights bit that makes it hard to start selling flights online.
After we launched the first version of our Flights API, we found that travel startups who were excited about Duffel faced big, practical problems with payments:
- How can I make money on the flights I sell?
- How do I find a payment processor in an industry that is treated as high-risk?
- How do I manage my cashflow, when travel suppliers expect payment immediately but payment processors pay out more slowly?
We've responded to these customer concerns by launching our ground-breaking Payments product, which allows our merchants to accept card payments from their customers through Duffel, use some of the money to pay for flights and keep the rest. But we're not done.
We’re now looking for someone to get close to customers, dive into the data and drive this product forward. There are tonnes of exciting ideas from customers to explore already, from buy now pay later (BNPL) to support for mobile wallets.
The Payments team also has lots of important work behind the scenes, working closely with internal teams - for example, Finance and Airline Partnerships teams - to optimise how we settle with airlines, automate how we bill customers and keep our financial records up to date.
- What we’re looking for in you
- You have experience not just in delivering a vision and direction for a product, but defining it and shaping it
- You can drive execution with a cross-functional product team and get things done, working as a team and with stakeholders to get a project over the line
- You’re familiar with the world of payments. You know your issuers from your acquirers and can talk for hours about the pros and cons of being the merchant of record.
- You have experience of talking to customers to understand and prioritise their problems and validate potential solutions.
- You’re an advocate for customers, helping others - especially your product team - to understand their problems and priorities.
- You have experience of working with stakeholders across a business to build products that work for customers, are viable for our business and keep our internal processes working smoothly
- You’re able to deal with ambiguity, breaking down complex product problems and defining a way forward
- You use quantitative and qualitative analysis to shape your decisions and communicate them with your team
- You think being challenged on your assumptions and decisions makes you grow, and that challenging others will help them grow
- You’re a clear communicator, both in written and spoken form, able to structure your ideas logically, communicate trade-offs, and explain complex technical concepts clearly
- You aren’t only comfortable with high-level product thinking - you can dive into the technical details
What you’ll be doing
- Working with the Head of Product to define the strategic direction for the Payments team’s products, aligned with Duffel’s product strategy
- Driving product discovery with customers - both internal and external - to understand their problems, prioritise them and validate solutions
- Building and maintaining the Payments team’s roadmap in line with the strategic direction you’ve set
- Prioritising work, using strategy, data and your contact with customers to inform and justify your decisions
- Working with your team to break down items on the roadmap into manageable, deliverable chunks which the team can deliver
- Identifying, measuring and tracking metrics to understand how people are using the product and how it’s performing
- Working with the team to plan, execute and review their sprints
- Advocating within the team for the right balance between technical debt, investment work and product features
- Building relationships with key internal stakeholders, so you can identify how your work will impact their teams, practices and processes
- Communicating about your team’s work and your products to stakeholders
- What you can expect from us
We’re dedicated to your personal growth. Our environment is comfortable physically, but also in that our ears are always open to any ideas, concerns and questions. We believe that everyone should have pride in their work, taking full ownership of it and its impact. That’s why everyone who joins Duffel owns a share of the company.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We believe that the key to our success is employing a diverse team, that’s why recruitment decisions are only based on your experience and skills. We value your ability to problem solve and build amazing things so we welcome applications for everyone – regardless of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Note to recruitment agencies
Duffel does not accept speculative CV’s from external parties. Any unsolicited CV’s sent to us will be treated as property of Duffel, and any attached terms and conditions associated with these CV’s will be null and void.