- Date Posted
- Oct. 27, 2021
- Product Engineering
Whether it’s to visit the people closest to us, starting an exciting adventure, or a career-defining business trip, travel is an essential part of our lives. Yet we’ve all experienced the aches and pains of getting to our destination. Today, more than 4 billion airline passengers rely on technology that hasn’t kept up with the expectations of the modern connected traveller.
That’s why we’ve started to rebuild the infrastructure that underpins the travel industry. We’re on a mission to unravel travel — simplifying systems and building the tools that will make the future of travel effortless.
We were part of Y Combinator S18’s cohort and we are backed by Benchmark, Blossom, Index Ventures and Kima Ventures. A fantastic set of investors that has helped build some of the world’s largest companies.
Our team in London is growing and we’re looking for talented people to join us on our journey.
- Something to consider when reading this job advert
We know people engage with job adverts differently. Some will view it as a checklist that needs to be at 100% before applying; others will see 60% as good enough. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily meet all the requirements on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat, learn more about you and see if it could be a great fit.
At Duffel, our mission is to make travel effortless. As our first step towards that mission, we’re building the best API for selling flights on the internet, with a special focus on enabling anyone to start selling flights for the first time.
To be able to sell flights from an airline, we need to get connected to them. The Flights Infra team is responsible for our infrastructure for connecting to airlines - that is, building and maintaining integrations with airlines’ reservation systems.
In this role on our Flights Infra team, you’ll use your experience of working with engineering teams and deep knowledge of the airline industry to drive delivery, helping our engineers to build, maintain and enhance our airline integrations.
Flights Infra is part of our Product Development organisation. Product Development is split into a number of cross-functional product teams that, like Flights Infra, own particular parts of the Duffel product.
Today, we have direct API connections to more than 30 airlines - powered by NDC and other API standards - plus integrations with hundreds of others through intermediaries. To be the best API for selling flights on the internet, we need to have:
- the widest possible coverage of airlines
- the best possible prices
- the richest possible feature set
The Flights Infra team works to:
- connect more airlines to our platform
- make sure Duffel customers can get the best possible prices by connecting to each airline in the most efficient way - going direct rather than through intermediaries wherever we can
- expand the feature set we offer for each airline (we want the full works: seat selection, automated changes, rich content!)
- You’ll work closely with the team’s engineers to get new airline integrations and features into our customers’ hands at speed.
- You’ll provide context on airlines’ practices and systems and drive delivery: planning projects, breaking them down into chunks, ensuring the team isn’t blocked and keeping the team on track.
- What we’re looking for in you
- You’re an expert on airline distribution, airline IT and the travel industry, with deep knowledge of topics like fares, ticketing and passenger service systems (PSSs)
- Experience of passenger service systems used by low-cost carriers - for example, Navitaire and AeroCRS - is desirable.
- You can drive execution and get things done, working with your team’s engineers and other stakeholders - internal and external - to get a project over the line
- You aren’t only comfortable with high-level product thinking - you can dive into the technical details, for example, API specifications or the behaviour of airlines’ PSS
- You’re a clear communicator, both in written and spoken form, able to structure your ideas logically, communicate trade-offs, and explain complex technical concepts clearly
- You think being challenged on your assumptions and decisions makes you grow, and that challenging others will help them grow
- You value and enjoy participating in team discussions to shape how things work under the hood, not just what the customer sees
- You’re ready to work across the business, for example with our Finance and Travel Ops teams, to build products that work for customers and keep our internal processes working smoothly
What you’ll be doing
- Working with Flights Infra’s Product Manager to understand the team’s strategic priorities and turn that into a roadmap
- Collaborating with engineers to turn an item on the roadmap into an actionable backlog, with work broken down into deliverable chunks with a clear definition of done
- Prioritising tasks, so the engineers on the team know what to work on next to have the highest impact at any given time
- Sharing context on and answering questions about airline distribution, airline IT and the travel industry
- Collaborating with stakeholders - both internally and externally - to understand concerns and constraints, keep them in the loop and deliver successfully
- Working with the team to plan, execute and review their sprints
- Defining test cases - and sometimes running those tests - to make sure that what the team has built works as expected
- Ensuring that the team gets the right balance of bug fixes, product features and addressing technical debt
- What you can expect from us
We’re dedicated to your personal growth. Our environment is comfortable physically, but also in that our ears are always open to any ideas, concerns and questions. We believe that everyone should have pride in their work, taking full ownership of it and its impact. That’s why everyone who joins Duffel owns a share of the company.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We believe that the key to our success is employing a diverse team, that’s why recruitment decisions are only based on your experience and skills. We value your ability to problem solve and build amazing things so we welcome applications for everyone – regardless of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Note to recruitment agencies
Duffel does not accept speculative CV’s from external parties. Any unsolicited CV’s sent to us will be treated as property of Duffel, and any attached terms and conditions associated with these CV’s will be null and void.