- Date Posted
- May. 25, 2021
The thought of a fully immutable infrastructure gives you goosebumps. And the only thing that excites you more than writing Python or Golang is shipping that code across a highly available Kubernetes cluster. You’ve had a hand in streamlining engineering teams’ processes and have found it exceptionally rewarding. Let there be no question that you implement the DevOps interface - and you’ve got the HashiCorp tattoo to prove it! Ok, maybe we draw the line at the tattoo, but you have some opinions on the state of the art of infrastructure-as-code tools. You’ve developed some magnificent cloud chops and have experience deploying applications using configuration management tools. You’ve been thrilled to expand your understanding of cloud service offerings over the last few years and you get a kick out of using that knowledge to help engineers make better decisions for their applications.
Innovation comes naturally to you, but you’re also eager to help others. You thrive when operating in a support or consultative capacity.
We’re building a core platform that enables service owners to self-service their own cloud infrastructure and observability needs. Does that idea whet your appetite? If so, we should chat!
- What Expel Can Do For You
- Provide experience growing and maintaining a cloud native engineering platform using cutting edge infrastructure and tooling (Kubernetes, GCP, Hashicorp tools such as Terraform, Packer, Vault, etc).
- Provide exposure to the information security space.
- Work as part of a geographically distributed team in a highly collaborative culture where team members learn from and support each other.
- What You Can Do For Expel
- Play your part through project work to build and maintain platform features that cut across the Expel product’s software delivery, networking, and cloud infrastructure.
- Contribute by pushing infrastructure-as-code commits daily, with occasional opportunities to write and test application code in Python, Golang, or NodeJS.
- Mentor service owners on how to use the platform in order to build, deploy, measure, monitor, and operate their own services at scale.
- Provide nearly on-demand working-hours support to platform users on a weekly support rotation.
- Participate in a weekly 24/7 on-call rotation -- and in the rare case of the pager actually going off, determine why it did and how to make that problem not happen again.
- Participate in maintaining the platform by upgrading core components regularly, and providing incident response, triage, and root cause analysis.
- Poke fun at our leadership team in creative ways.
- What You Should Bring With You
- A passion for learning and improving your work product
- Aptitude for wielding container technology
- Experience running systems in GCP or AWS
- Exposure to monitoring and observability infrastructure and standard methodologies
- An understanding of infrastructure-as-code practices, tools, and patterns
- Some experience developing software in Linux environments, preferably with Python and/or Golang
- Some experience supporting CI/CD pipelines
- A customer-minded approach that enables the success of platform users as well as building trust across the organization.
- A collaborative disposition that allows you to work optimally on and across teams
- Two years of systems experience either in operations or development
- Bachelor’s degree or credible panache
How We Run This Team
We build and run teams where everyone is pulling in the same direction and is learning from each other:
- We work out of a shared backlog
- We peer-review everything
- We do weekly blame-free retros to reinforce what’s going well, so we do more of it, and surface what’s not going well, so we can do something about it. Same thing for projects and significant operational problems.
At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.
- Our office is based in Herndon, Virginia. However, we will consider 100% remote work for this position.
- We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer: You’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.