- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
- Software Engineering
You enjoy writing code, but in the back of your mind you’re always wondering: what problem does this solve? Who will be using this software and how will this make their work easier? You are fascinated by how your software is used and how it can be improved. You like to dive into the end users’ workflows to make them as seamless as possible. Because it’s not just about the code, it’s about the results.
You’ve found that having a robust, automated test suite frees the team to take on refactoring efforts with confidence, knowing that the system you’ve built won’t let you deploy broken software even if you try. You believe that collaborating with others makes it so that everyone learns, you build a better product, and you can sleep at night and go on vacation with the assurance that what you’ve constructed is stable.
The Device Detections and Tasking team is responsible for pulling data from our customers’ environments and running automated detections on that data as quickly as possible, because every second counts during a security incident. We’re building a next-generation data ingestion and detection pipeline that empowers our detection and response engineers to focus on what they love about security.
To accomplish these goals, we need help building out a UI which will allow our users to describe detection logic. Proficiency with React is strongly preferred, along with an eagerness to learn more about distributed systems. If this sounds like you, then we believe you’ll love our team, and we’d love to talk to you!
What Expel Can Do For You
- Give you complicated, real world problems on which to use your skills and experience
- Develop your expertise in current technologies like Kubernetes, GCP and Google data services, Postgres, React, Python, and Go
- Increase your exposure to the information security space and security products
- Experience a growing, highly transparent startup environment
- What You Can Do For Expel
- Expand the core security device data ingestion and detection pipeline infrastructure our customers and analysts rely on 24 x 7
- Make sure our detection and response team have the tools that they need to build and maintain best-in-class security for our customers
- Enthusiastically reinforce our belief in good software engineering practice including code reviews and automated testing
- Add your viewpoint to our engineering culture (and especially this small team)
- Adapt to changes of direction because, hey, startup life!
- What You Should Bring With You
- A desire and ability to constantly learn and improve yourself and your work products
- An enjoyment of communicating and collaborating effectively with others, both within your team and across teams
- Proficiency with React
- Ideally: familiarity with a strongly typed language like Java, C, or Go
- 1+ years professional development experience
At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.
Our headquarters is in Herndon, Virginia. However, we realize that while there is a benefit to in-person interaction, good people don’t all live in Northern Virginia. Remote work is an option for this role.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer: You’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.