- New York
- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Nov. 22, 2021
- Design & UI
- Business Applications
Figma is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to make design accessible to all. Born on the Web, Figma helps entire product teams brainstorm, create, test, and ship better designs, together. From great products to long-lasting companies, we believe that nothing great is made alone—come make with us!
The editor is the core of Figma, and an important tool that is used by many people every day. We are looking for a designer that can help us design its next many iterations on many platforms – be it in a browser, a native app, or the less-charted territory of native Figma on mobile. Your role would be part of the creation team, and you would collaborate closely with many teams building upon the foundations of the editor. You would also work very closely with the engineering and product teams.
This is a full time role that can be held from one of our U.S. hubs, or remotely in the continental United States.
What you’ll do at Figma
- Work on complex, new tentpole features and invisible/crucial improvements to the editor as a lead designer (and, once in a while, developer)
- Coordinate with designers/PMs on other teams to create a more cohesive vision for the editor (interactions, mental models)
- Co-pilot with other designers on their projects as feedback-giver, collaborator, or mentor
- Contribute to the roadmap
- Advance, reflect on, and communicate the editor’s quality and consistency
- Collaborate with other teams to listen to their editor needs and provide ideas/solutions
- Some projects you could work on
- Growing the editor to include new devices and interactions
- Complex, new tentpole features similar to Auto Layout and Selection Colors that accelerate the work of millions
- “Invisible” but crucial improvements to core editor functionality, such as: better copy and paste, improving typography and accessibility, support for variable fonts, line height changes, progressive loading, better saving, new color and file formats, selection and parenting mechanics
- Improving and coming up with new editor interaction and system mechanics: selection, parenting, layer pane, property pane, touch interactions
- Developing new interactions on multi touch and multi input devices
- We’d love to hear from you if you have
- Strong interaction design skills (either on desktop or mobile platforms), including prototyping in code
- An aptitude for systems thinking and information architecture
- The communication skills necessary to translate between the user needs and the technical realities of building Figma’s editor
- Knowledge of the building blocks of a design tool, and their technical underpinnings (things like latency/responsiveness, mouse and touch driven interactions, color, typography, vector and bitmap graphics)
- An understanding of the web platform and general awareness and knowledge of the creative tools space(including design tools)
- 5+ years industry experience as a product designer
- Interest and excitement about problem solving and complex systems
- Eagerness to learn, a track record for being self-driven, and experience managing multiple projects at the same time
At Figma, one of our values is “Grow as you go.” We believe in hiring smart, curious people who are excited to learn and develop their skills. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the points outlined in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Read more about our team
- Our Design Team Process (May 2020)
- Our Design Principles (April 2020)
- Design Critiques at Figma (September 2019)
- How we built the Design Team (December 2018)
- Investing in Figma: The Decade of Design (April 2020)
- How work is changing at Figma (August 2020)
- Figma's next product is a multiplayer whiteboard called FigJam (April 2021)
- Software Design Startup Figma Is Now Worth $10 Billion (June 2021)
- Figma Musical (May 2020)
We will work to ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let your recruiter know if you require accommodation.
Dylan Field and Evan Wallace co-founded Figma in 2012 with the vision of building tools for designers in the browser. Their goal was to create the first design tool that combined the accessibility of the Web with the functionality of a native app. Today Figma is a platform with tools and spaces to support the entire product development process—idea to design to build—and has simplified collaboration for companies like Microsoft, Uber, and The New York Times to name a few.
At Figma, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, products, and community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.