- New York
- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jan. 6, 2022
- Product Engineering
- Business Applications
Figma is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to make design accessible to all. Born on the Web, Figma helps entire product teams brainstorm, create, test, and ship better designs, together. From great products to long-lasting companies, we believe that nothing great is made alone—come make with us!
Figma is growing rapidly. With that the scale and complexity of our backend infrastructure is growing rapidly as well. Server Platform team’s mission is to accelerate development by building a self-serve platform that makes it safe and easy to run large-scale production services. This foundational platform is used by the rest of the Engineering team. This team’s charter includes managing our production resources in AWS, defining how a backend service is created and launched, the orchestration platform used(Kubernetes vs ECS /Fargate), defining how services discover each other and the how they communicate with one another (gRPC or JSON), etc.
We’re looking for a leader who is excited about challenges in building distributed systems, infrastructure reliability, observability, performance, traffic and other related areas. Additionally, we are looking for a leader who is passionate about creating a positive and inclusive culture where engineers are able to do their best work. Your team will not only accelerate development at Figma but also enable innovative features used by millions of people across the world in companies like Microsoft, Uber, Square and more.
This is a full time role that can be held from one of our US hubs or remotely in the United States.
What you’ll do at Figma:
- Manage, support and grow a diverse team of engineers who design, build and operate foundational platform that powers all backend services at Figma.
- Work with product and engineering leadership to set strategy, priorities, and mission for the team.
- Work closely with engineering teams to understand their needs and evolve the platform to address them.
- Drive initiatives that enables the platform to support increasingly larger scale of services as well as continuously improve Figma’s availability.
- Establish trust within and across teams by creating accountability and a positive work environment in partnership with other leaders in the organization.
Some projects you could work on:
- Evolve the traffic infrastructure with fewer layers and with traffic elements that offer better observability as well as support circuit breaking / load shedding.
- Enhance our centralized deployment system to recover automatically from machine failures as well as gracefully handle from various failure scenarios — AWS throttling of API requests, orphaned task sets.
- Enable Multiplayer, our CRDR resolution system, to tolerate host failures by automatically re-routing traffic.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 2+ years of experience managing high output engineering teams
- Proven track record of building large-scale complex distributed systems. A passion for diving into the nuts-and-bolts of how things work, and for building high-quality software / systems.
- A desire to build an inclusive and diverse culture
- Experience scaling products and teams in high growth environments
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and others
At Figma, one of our values is Grow as you go. We believe in hiring smart, curious people who are excited to learn and develop their skills. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the points outlined in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We will work to ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let your recruiter know if you require accommodation.
Dylan Field and Evan Wallace co-founded Figma in 2012 with the vision of building tools for designers in the browser. Their goal was to create the first design tool that combined the accessibility of the Web with the functionality of a native app. Today Figma is a platform with tools and spaces to support the entire product development process—idea to design to build—and has simplified collaboration for companies like Microsoft, Uber, and The New York Times to name a few.
At Figma, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, products, and community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.