- United States
- Date Posted
- Sep. 26, 2021
- Software Engineering
Flipboard is a content discovery platform designed to inform and inspire the world. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles, videos, podcasts and products shared by the greatest publishers and our vibrant Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 100 million readers every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news as well as to collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspectives.
Every single one of our users generates data that we use to monitor, inform, and build our products. Reliable data collection and performant data access, at exceptional scale, is central to everything we do. We are a gathering of creative minds solving big, unique engineering problems - here you will immerse yourself in a world where algorithms meets art.
As a senior software engineer on the Data Platform, you will be leading the engineering architecture, design and implementation for Flipboard’s next generation Data Platform. You will collaborate with Flipboard engineering teams located in New York, Palo Alto, Vancouver, Seattle and remotely, which are responsible for the core service, machine learning, and client apps. This is a great opportunity to contribute and grow as you build a platform that helps Flipboard realize its mission of informing and inspiring the world.
- Architect and design major components of the Data Infrastructure.
- Implement major components and services of the platform.
- Utilize a variety of open source components
- Improve interconnectivity of data across various big data technologies
- Develop systems that improve data governance, lineage, and discoverability
- Work together with the product, client, analytics, and sales teams to design and implement product features
- Provide ongoing support for features throughout the product life cycle
- Ensure efficiency, quality, and usability of a high-profile internal and client-facing system
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of software programming experience
- 3+ years data engineering experience
- Solid skills developing server software in Java, Go, Python, C++ or similar languages
- Strong architecture and design skills with respect to large scale, data-intensive applications and distributed systems
- Good communication skills and the desire to have fun building great software!
- Strong understanding of relational databases and familiarity with optimizations.
- Strong understanding of open source and cloud based technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Storm and ElasticSearch, as well as cloud based technologies and programming paradigms such as AWS.
- Comfortable Linux / UNIX shell scripting abilities
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs (post-pandemic)
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people’s voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.