- Date Posted
- Aug. 30, 2021
- Software Engineering
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead the team responsible for our website and first-time user experience at Gatsby. Join us in our mission to make website development fun by making it simple.
Gatsby is a remote-first, community-focused team working to build a high-performance, fun to use, accessible, and astonishingly flexible presentation layer for any data source. Our core values include transparency (our work is public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time employee
- Location: Remote
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is a complex, growing product including an open source framework and cloud-based software as a service. The Developer Experience team is responsible for gatsbyjs.com, which is the primary way that our users learn how to use Gatsby. You’ll help execute on the improvement of the developer experience in our core products through using our own products, discovering and implementing improvements to make Gatsby easier to use. We “eat our own dog food” to improve the workflows for our internal stakeholders and create examples, demos, and proofs-of-concepts to show how to use Gatsby in a variety of real-world applications.
Why this is interesting
Gatsby is shaping the future of the web by focusing on best-in-class developer experience and providing tools for professional web developers. Our team is responsible for leveraging the latest and greatest features in Gatsby to share examples and best practices with customers and members of the open source community.
- Help your team deliver significant Developer Experience features on Quarterly Roadmap. You’ll be a driving force of key features shipped by the Gatsby Engineering team, ensuring the on-time delivery of quality software and supporting documentation.
- Strategize and iterate upon shared front-end component libraries. You’ll be responsible for driving team efficiency by building upon component libraries that are shared across the entire engineering organization. This is a critical responsibility to ensure the efficiency of design and front end development of our internal public-facing products.
- Act as a force-multiplier for developers on the team. We have a small (but growing) Developer Experience team, and your role is to ensure that the team is growing into T-shaped developers with a generalist skillset, leveraging and maximizing their deep expertise in varied aspects of the software development lifecycle.
- Ensure all new DX features are Gatsby Cloud-first. Ensure that new capabilities and features relating to DX are supported by Gatsby Cloud at the outset, working closely with other, more Cloud focused squads, while building up the muscle on your squad in the process.
- Work with founders and product leadership to shape the vision of the developer experience and execute key features that realize that vision.
- Ruthlessly prioritize. You’ll drive new feature development on our website to support documentation, marketing, and other internal stakeholders while balancing the needs of developers using Gatsby, which can be tricky and requires quick, active decision making and communication.
This might be you if you….
- Have a consistent track record of leading teams that deliver high-quality software in regular, iterative releases particularly with a globally distributed company.
- Have strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Have successfully managed people, including recruiting and hiring, coaching, mentoring, evaluating, and promoting.
- Hard working and highly motivated person who may have some ability to get your hands in the code.
- Have 1-3+ years of experience directly managing a high-performing engineering team (squad, pod, or so forth)
- Are able to coordinate and work with teams and stakeholders across the organization.
- Have experience managing or leading a team that has built a design system
- Have strong empathy and a willingness to define the nuances of team roles (including your own!) as you go.
The best parts of this job
- The people and culture of a team genuinely invested in building something great
- You’ll have the opportunity (even expectation) to constantly learn and innovate, in both tech opinions and process definition.
- Work with the latest technologies in the industry and cultivate real expertise in yourself and your team
- Work on a product that has massive scale potential and solve problems and capture opportunities inherent in that environment
- Effect a lot of change, given the team is small and nimble
The worst parts of this job (maybe)
- We’re all still figuring a lot of stuff out. Things can feel unstructured or messy. Part of your job is to smooth out what we collectively don’t like, and help be a key piece to cultivate and define the next generation of the Engineering Management craft at Gatsby.
- The Developer Experience squad can sometimes have a split focus, because it serves internal and external stakeholders alike in its ownership of the website. You will need to make trade-offs and communicate these trade offs effectively and sometimes being the bearer of bad news.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (once it’s safe again!)
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.