- Date Posted
- Oct. 11, 2021
- Software Engineering
Help build the future of the Gatsby Cloud platform
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has nearly 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps the professional developer build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is growing fast, and we’re building products that make our user’s projects easier to manage, scale, and improve. The Builds and Deploys Team is small with a million interesting problems to solve.
The team’s mission is to create everything that Gatsby and its customers will need in the cloud. This includes:
- Provide powerful cloud build tools to developers to continuously deliver and preview their Gatsby site will light but powerful configuration for CMS and data source integrations.
- Enable customers to seamlessly build, deploy and host their Gatsby sites on a first class cloud environment. Building on existing integrations with CDN partners and working to reduce friction and time to completion for users making rapid changes to their production and preview sites.
- Each of these features need extensive backend work and creative, thoughtful user-focused frontend development. The goal is to create a seamless, intuitive transition between local and cloud environments. This is far above and beyond what our users are expecting -- but exactly what they need.
- You’ll be working closely with product and design, and working alongside and helping mentor team members, in order to realize this vision.
Why this is interesting
As a core member of our growing team, you will work closely with the rest of our engineering, design and product teams to turn ideas into tangible products. Your ability to enable designers and Frontend engineers through back end API development will move the Gatsby platform forward.
- Create product APIs. As the team builds feature by feature, your role will be to design and build the APIs and services. We use GraphQL and Node.js as our primary platform.
- Provision and manage cloud infrastructure. You will provision and manage our infrastructure, implement internal access control, auditing etc. We run on Google Cloud and Google Kubernetes Engine, with Terraform, Postgres, etc.
- Service infrastructure and operations. You will help refine the patterns and ways in which Gatsby adopts microservices and a service-oriented architecture company-wide.
- Mentorship & team development. As an experienced member of the team you’ll coach and guide less experienced members of the team, contribute to the code review process, and help set and maintain a culture of quality throughout the development process.
- Experience building and shipping production code in a cloud environment. We deploy and run our services in multiple cloud environments, so familiarity with one (AWS/Google Cloud/Azure) is very helpful.
- Familiarity with building front end applications using frameworks such as React, Angular JS, and Amber.
- Experience building APIs for other software engineers. We primarily use GraphQL, but welcome applications with strong general API design skills.
- Working knowledge of database systems and how to write code to interact with them.
The best parts of this job
- You’ll be at the cutting edge of website development — working on one of the fastest-growing site building frameworks on the market, digging into Gatsby’s innovatively architected codebase and build system, using modern tools such as Node, React, and GraphQL.
- You’re on the cutting edge of platform engineering. You’ll acquire and gain a deep understanding of working with Kubernetes, various cloud native tools and Elastic Cloud.
- You’ll have an incredible team to learn from. From domain experts to incredibly talented cloud engineers, the Gatsby Builds and Deploys Team is a team that you will be challenged by and that you will challenge.
- You’ll contend with challenging technical problems. Scaling, container orchestration, running untrusted code at scale. These challenging engineering endeavors and problems are complex, but rewarding and oh so fun.
The worst parts of this job
- Shifting context. You may necessarily have to shift context and dive into a different feature before the current one is done. It may even be in an area of the code base you’re unfamiliar with or don’t have a ton of understanding about.
- We move quickly, but don’t sacrifice quality. We ship. Early, often, and quickly. You may not be initially comfortable with the cadence we ship features and improvements to end users.
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+4)
- Engineering Level: Level 4 (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We are distributed first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR coworking/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- WiFi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (once it’s safe to travel again!)
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.