- Date Posted
- Aug. 30, 2021
- Software Engineering
We are looking for a staff software engineer with Cloud development expertise to help our Integrations & Collaboration team improve Gatsby’s Preview UI
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has over 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps professional developers build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC-4)
- Engineering Level: 4 (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is a complex, growing product including an open source framework and cloud-based software as a service. Our team is developing an improved content editor preview experience that will shape how content editors interact with headless websites in the future. You’ll be part of the team responsible for developing this new next-generation preview experience on Gatsby Cloud.
Why this is interesting
Gatsby is shaping the future of the web by focusing on providing a great development experience for developers while providing tools for content marketers to be more successful. Our team is responsible for developing innovative ways to unify the “content mesh” while also creating new tools to make it easier to work with this content.
- Develop features to improve the Gatsby Cloud experience. Gatsby Cloud unifies the experience for Developers and Content Marketers. You will help develop new and innovative ways to improve these website development and content workflows.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and other engineers. You’ll play an integral role in our cross-functional team to help define the work and develop solutions for professional web developers.
- Interact with customers. You’ll have the opportunity to support Gatsby customers and the broader open source community.
- Experience working with Cloud architectures. You should be familiar with cloud concepts such as Kubernetes, Docker, and cloud database storage.
- Ability to dive into complex problems. You should be able to quickly assess, understand, and iterate upon aspects of our codebase.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. You will be required to communicate with team members across the organization, customers using our cloud product, and community members. Clear communication is fundamental in creating intuitive and compelling resources.
- Ready and willing to ask and answer questions. If you’re comfortable saying you’re unsure, asking for help, and reaching out to assist others, you’ll be an incredible addition to our team. Our team thrives because of continuous learning.
The best parts of this job
- You’ll be at the cutting edge of website development — working on one of the fastest-growing site building frameworks on the market, building a feature-rich content preview experience
- You’ll work closely with a small product team consisting of engineers, a designer, and a product manager working to solve new and interesting problems.
- You’ll be part of an active, open, friendly community of developers that are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites.
- You’ll be working in a safe, open environment of talented engineers who have a broad range of experience.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web -- and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
The worst parts of this job
- You will be part of the entire product development process from initial scoping, to release and ongoing support. This position requires building new features and supporting existing customers and community members. Striking the correct balance between feature work and support can be challenging.
- We are a small, nimble team working at a start-up. Things are constantly evolving and we often change quickly in response to broader organizational needs.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.