- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 9, 2021
Good Eggs delivers absurdly fresh groceries, easy weeknight meal kits, pantry staples, and alcohol straight to your door. We are pioneering a better way for people to feed their family, without settling. We believe good food is the most powerful force for change: For our families, our farmers, our employees, and our environment.
The Category Manager is responsible for planning assortment, developing pricing strategy, planning promotional activity, and building producer and supply chain relationships within the Produce, Floral, Meat, Seafood, and Eggs categories. They will contribute to the profitability of their categories by driving and optimizing sales while blending their categories to meet set margin targets. The Category Manager will also support merchandising efforts of eCommerce Merchandisers and support Buyers to execute replenishment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze internal and external data to develop category strategy aligned with industry and consumer trends
- Manage onboarding and offboarding of products within time-bound category review schedule in accordance with sourcing standards
- Act as subject matter expert in assigned categories, providing thought leadership to organization
- Reevaluate sourcing standards as a team to ensure alignment with company mission and category assortment needs
- Work with Merchandisers to optimize taxonomy, marketplace navigation, and features to improve discoverability
- Foster trusting, win-win partnerships with producers and other supply chain partners
- Work with producers and suppliers to resolve any reliability, compliance, and quality issues
Pricing and Promotions
- Negotiate costs, distribution and delivery terms with suppliers and execute pricing strategy to meet margin targets for assigned categories
- Examine competition to determine trends and pricing bandwidth
- Work with Buyers and Merchandisers to implement successful exit strategies for stagnant items from inventory
- Coach, develop and directly supervise team members to support overall Category Management Team functions
- Perform other duties as required
- 3-5 years relevant work experience in category management, preferably in the grocery industry
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Outstanding communication and time management skills
- 2+ years of managing and developing staff preferred
- Willingness to travel up to 25% for industry events and to site visits with producers
Relevant Skills & Experience
- Experience managing relationships with external partners of various scale, demonstrating a commitment to flexibility without compromising business objectives
- Experience purchasing in assigned categories preferred
- Deep understanding of margins and profitability
- Subject matter expertise for products within assigned categories; category retail experience a plus
- Experience negotiating pricing and capturing trade spend to fund promotional activities with producers, suppliers, and brokers
- Understanding of quality standards, certifications, regulations, trends within assigned categories
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Google and Microsoft Office suite software (i.e. spreadsheets, presentation, and word processing software)
- Experience analyzing reports and utilizing databases, SQL skills a plus
- Comfortable working with new and evolving tools, providing constructive feedback internally
- Passion for food, sustainable agricultural practices and high quality standards
Why work for Good Eggs?
- Work for a purpose-driven company
- An incredible work environment with passionate, diverse, and accomplished team members
- Benefits include employer-assisted health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts (FSA), 20% off groceries, Flex vacation + 10 holidays, generous parental leave, & the opportunity for an unpaid sabbatical after 2 years.
- Meaningful equity is provided to all employees
- The opportunity to work for a pioneering company in a trillion dollar market that is quickly shifting online
- Guidance from an all-star board including Bill Gurley (Benchmark Capital, #2 on the Midas List), Danny Rimer (Index Ventures), Chuck Templeton (Managing Director of S2G Ventures and founder of Open Table), and Vishal Vasishth (Obvious Ventures).
Good Eggs provides equal employment opportunities for team members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military status or disability in accordance with local, state and federal guidelines. We hire and promote individuals based on their qualifications for the position to be filled. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce.