- Date Posted
- Jun. 21, 2021
- Product Management
The Gremlin team is growing and events are a proven strategic business driver for us. As an Events Manager on the Developer Advocacy Team, you’ll report to the Director of Advocacy and build Gremlin’s events strategy as part of our effort to engage with and grow the Chaos Engineering community. You’ll lead Gremlin’s own events (such as Chaos Conf) from concept to execution and manage our presence at industry events. You’ll also work with key company stakeholders to ensure a positive experience for everyone that we engage with that also delivers business value for Gremlin.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Research industry events and work alongside the Director of Advocacy and other company stakeholders to make strategic sponsorship recommendations as they relate to existing go-to-market goals.
- Build, foster, and maintain ongoing relationships with vendors, clients, partners and our community. This will include researching and quoting new vendors as new needs arise.
- Organize, oversee, and execute sponsorship programs. (Note: This will include domestic and international travel.)
- Own all deliverables for industry sponsorship programs. This includes but is not limited to invoice tracking, AV orders, lead retrieval management, budget tracking, staff assignments, travel coordination, and all other deliverables as dictated per each event’s specific requirements.
- Work with other company stakeholders to define Gremlin’s messaging at events.
- Events are seasonal in nature. During the busy season, must be willing to travel up to 70% of the time.
We’ll expect you to:
- Make events seamless. You see everything from the high-level vision, down to the minutiae. You’re highly organized, can see (and prevent) problems before they occur.
- Be a great planner. You’ve got experience in planning and project management. You ensure that event logistics, services, and shipping are handled on time and within budget. You’re comfortable voicing and explaining your ideas—whether it’s how to make an existing process better or a new program to test out.
- Be flexible. You work well under pressure and have backup plans for your backup plans.
- Be comfortable leading. Whether it’s your vendors, contractors, or onsite staff you enroll others in a vision, enlist their enthusiastic help, acknowledge their efforts and accomplishments, and are committed to their success.
- Be results-oriented. You measure everything that you do so that events not only deliver amazing experiences to our community, but can also show impact on company growth.
- Be confident. You’re able to work independently and get a project moving on your own, and you’re also confident enough to know when you need to ask for help (Your team is here for you).
- Be a team player. You take pride in being a team player with stellar interpersonal, and relationship management skills.
- Be a proactive collaborator and communicator. You’re a clear communicator, and you can coordinate closely with multiple teams who are geographically dispersed.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 2-3 years of experience creating and running events, ideally for technical communities.
- Knowledge of the developer/software engineering market.
- Previous experience working in B2B SaaS.
- Previous experience executing user conferences and field programs.
- If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Match
- Stock Options
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Team Activities (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
Employees at Gremlin have the unique chance to be at the forefront of a new IT practice, Chaos Engineering, just as the industry is beginning to adopt it. Our team is growing and you have an opportunity to join us as we transform how companies like Target, Twilio, National Bank of Australia, and many more build reliable software.
- “Gartner anticipates that 40% of organizations will implement chaos engineering practices as part of DevOps initiatives by 2023, reducing unplanned downtime by 20%.”
- Source: https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/the-io-leaders-guide-to-chaos-engineering/
Chaos Engineering helps engineers test large computer systems to discover system problems before those problems cause outages. This is a foundational approach for every company that provides mission-critical, always-online services. Gremlin provides a platform that makes the practice much faster to implement and easier to use for both large and small enterprise customers.
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders,” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin, we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS - We won’t be a company if our customers aren’t thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over-analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don’t micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that upfront, and honestly discuss ways in which we’ve personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY - We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
- You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work everyday. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
- We can’t wait to meet you!