- United States
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Software Engineering
As a Senior Engineer at Gremlin, you will have the opportunity to improve the reliability of the internet at large by developing Chaos Engineering tooling. You will be able to leverage your engineering experience to inform product design as well as solve complex technical problems that directly impact our customers (which range from the Fortune 500 to smaller organizations). You will work closely with a small, talented team focused on quality, delivery, and predictability.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders to design and build the latest and greatest in Chaos Engineering tooling
- Leverage strong collaboration and communication skills to deliver new features within a remote culture
- Partner with product and other business units to understand business problems and present technical solutions and tradeoffs
- Actively mentor and grow your teammates
- Care deeply about the customer experience
We’ll expect you to have:
- Collaborative problem solver with strong communication skills
- 3+ years professional Java software engineering experience
- Strong at breaking down ambiguous problems into concrete actions and milestones
- Experience with agile development environments and practices
- Strong advocate and practitioner of automated testing, CI/CD, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Experience in cloud technologies: e.g., AWS, DynamoDB, Lambda, Serverless
- Experience or strong interest in infrastructure & systems level technologies: e.g., Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc.
Nice to Have:
- Has been on-call and participated in an incident management program
- Experience or interest in Rust & Systems Level Programming
- If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Employees at Gremlin have the unique chance to be at the forefront of a new IT practice, Chaos Engineering, just as the industry is beginning to adopt it. Our team is growing and you have an opportunity to join us as we transform how companies like Target, Twilio, National Bank of Australia, and many more build reliable software.
- “Gartner anticipates that 40% of organizations will implement chaos engineering practices as part of DevOps initiatives by 2023, reducing unplanned downtime by 20%.”
- Source: https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/the-io-leaders-guide-to-chaos-engineering/
Chaos Engineering helps engineers test large computer systems to discover system problems before those problems cause outages. This is a foundational approach for every company that provides mission-critical, always-online services. Gremlin provides a platform that makes the practice much faster to implement and easier to use for both large and small enterprise customers.
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders,” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin, we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS - We won’t be a company if our customers aren’t thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over-analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don’t micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that upfront, and honestly discuss ways in which we’ve personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY - We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
- You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work everyday. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
- We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering:
- Engineering for Chaos: Preparing for Disaster | Kolton Andrus | TEDxAsburyPark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasOy54QGKo