- Date Posted
- Nov. 15, 2021
- Technical & Customer Support
Gremlin’s mission is to make the Internet more reliable. We’re leading the way in the exciting, growing practice of Chaos Engineering, for enterprises like Target, Twilio and JP Morgan Chase that are building complex, distributed SaaS applications whose success depends on uptime. The Gremlin platform uncovers risks and weaknesses that aren’t addressed by traditional DevOps and IT operations processes and best practices. If paving a new path forward at the leading edge of technology sounds exciting to you, we should talk.
About the Technical Services Team
We’re hiring a Technical Services Manager to lead our growing Technical Services team. Our highly experienced team of reliability specialists and engineers deliver trusted expertise and advice to our customers to implement, adopt, and expand the use of our chaos engineering platform.
You will manage two fundamental Gremlin services;, TAM (Technical Account Management) and ProServe (Professional Services). These services gather requirements, manage the development, delivery, and deployment of custom solutions to ensure the compatibility of our platform and build our customers’ chaos and reliability practice as an embedded solution within customer SDLC practices. Both services work with a range of technical expertise across SRE, DevOps, SysAdmin, and k8s administration professionals as well as coordinate with security and software development teams. Ultimately, these highly technical and collaborative services in lockstep with our relations management CSM team, move the needle from reducing a customer’s MTTR or MTTD to changing 9s and driving business value.
All customers receive technical account management support to ensure product onboarding and enablement across entitlements, SSO/SAML, development of customer reliability plans, customer reliability assessment, and delivery of tailored working sessions to improve customer reliability maturity. Those customers with unique infrastructure, security, or compliance needs or desire deeper embedded technical expertise to drive initiatives across large scale engineering teams can purchase additional Professional Reliability Services.
The foundational blocks of the services delivered by our team have been built and we are looking for a motivated, passionate customer-centric leader to take the program to the next level. Having a solid background in systems architecture, administration, or SRE will be critical to the role. If you have the drive and experience to lead, evolve and improve the Technical Services team in order to deliver real results in a face-paced, cross-departmental environment you will succeed.
The Technical Services Manager will be accountable for the delivery of services and professional services product integrations, ensuring they are delivered on time, within budget, and in coordination with the customer’s overarching strategy. This role will also oversee the Technical Services’ team resourcing and utilization, and will play a key role in helping to develop and administer process improvements, project prioritization, resource allocation and mentorship of individuals on the team.
About this role and what success will look like:
A successful Technical Services Manager will be hands-on, staying up to date on evolving technologies customers use. You are capable of understanding distributed systems, how they work, and partnering with engineering teams to express trends our customers are experiencing. Along with the team, you will be able to identify patterns across technical customer requirements, guiding and removing roadblocks for them to be successful and engaged. From the knowledge you gain you will be able to deliver to leadership the trends from customer orgs, projects, and team experience.
Communication, group dynamics, decision making, and making things happen are in your blood. You have an insatiable appetite for learning new things and continuously improving organizations. You’ll take pride in helping individuals, teams, and programs reach their full potential.
You will build the program and the mechanisms to measure it that facilitate leaders to understand and strategically guide the team and program towards desired near and long term goals and suggest successful paths to get there. You’ll enable the program to connect those goals to overall department goals and objectives, adjusting program deliverables as our product grows from leadership in the market to owning it.
We are looking for a Technical Services Professional who has:
- 5+ years total technical services leadership and or technical team management experience with software in a SaaS environment
- Experience delivering directly to customers that built your customer-centric muscle for delivering solutions and solving pain points
- Experience with popular technologies including Kubernetes, Redis & Jenkins
- Experience with all popular Cloud Providers AWS, Azure and GCP
- Experience with Monitoring and Alerting software including Datadog, New Relic and Prometheus
- Experience with Linux (Ubuntu and CentOS) and an understanding of Linux Networking
- Developed capacity to summarize trends and gather metrics to build reports that detail program health, customer success KPIs, project execution, and team health.
- Significant understanding of reliability, monitoring, and or observability
- Experience designing program management for services that drive deep adoption across a customers organizations to prove out business value
- Implement metrics driven processes to ensure service quality targets are met.
- Defining, establishing, and maintaining consistent, repeatable processes that can scale with the team and adapt to maturing customer needs
- Solid customer-facing and problem solving skills that can be turned into process that expedites delivery through increased efficiency
- Drive capacity planning, performance analysis, instrumentation and other non-functional systems requirements.
- Experience interfacing with and presenting to C-level executives
- Proven leadership and employee relations skills, leading teams and developing professional services employees for 5+ years
- Attention to written and verbal communication, whether that be via contractual document creation or a verbal escalation conversation with customer
- Ability to see and guide towards big-picture goals, while understanding technical issues, to move in and out of details and higher levels
- Passionate about learning new systems and leveraging data to execute processes
- Comfort with delegating, and change management of reactive servicing to proactive servicing of customer and team needs.
- Chaos Engineering experience
- Understanding of the scientific method and system connectivity theories
- SRE, SysAdmin, Observability time in the trenches
- If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Match
- Stock Options
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Team Activities (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders,” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin, we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS - We won’t be a company if our customers aren’t thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over-analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don’t micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that upfront, and honestly discuss ways in which we’ve personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY - We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
- You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work everyday. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
- We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering:
- Engineering for Chaos: Preparing for Disaster | Kolton Andrus | TEDxAsburyPark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasOy54QGKo