- Date Posted
- Jul. 5, 2021
We’re Hutch, a mobile games developer & publisher with studios in central London, Dundee and Canada. Our mission is to build the most diverse and engaged automotive gaming community on mobile. Our games have been played by over 280 million people, with new titles in development.
We believe in putting our people first. Here you can make games without sacrificing quality time with family and friends. We strive to ensure our people are happy and healthy.
Our teams are small and empowered, they have the independence to take on creative and technical challenges together, to work collaboratively, to make great games and have fun along the way.
We believe in; Looking after our people, small empowered teams, complete transparency, test, learn repeat, community at the core and the freedom to focus on what truly makes a difference to our players.
We’re driven by our players! Come and Join the mission!
Hutch is an award-winning developer of F2P mobile games, working in small, expert teams to be nimble, punch above our weight and adapt quickly to build the best games possible. Hutch recognises that the best judge of what is required to make the best games in the world is the team. The Head of Server Engineering is responsible for coaching and facilitating the server engineering team and development culture, and leading the evolution of server technology underpinning the games across the company, ensuring that the engineering team is able to efficiently and effectively build, maintain and evolve a world-leading player experience and deliver on the development requirements in a timely manner and to a very high quality level.
- 7+ years of backend architecture and development experience in commercial high-load (2000+ RPS/20000+ CCU), cloud native web environments, preferably using Azure but other providers also considered, including experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Excellent knowledge of cloud networking and TCP and UDP stacks
- Strong knowledge of distributed database design and SQL/NoSQL database technologies
- Experience of successfully managing and coaching a team of 10+ engineers both on-site and remote, and working with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Knowledge of industry best practices for security and data privacy requirements
- Previous experience in games development beneficial but not required, however you should have a good knowledge of game mechanics
- Knowledge of the Unity game engine advantageous but not required
- Foster and reinforce a culture of engineering excellence across the engineering team, and ensure that development practices and technology choices align with industry best practice and the company’s goals.
- Work with the engineering team to identify, support and feed back on their performance and development goals, and utilise hiring best practices to grow the team as required in a manner that supports the company’s hiring objectives and team culture.
- Work with the CTO, engineering heads and the Tools & Technology team where necessary to architect and coordinate the company’s technical vision across all current and future titles.
- Work with technical leads and senior engineers to maintain the security, performance and affordability of the company infrastructure, identify current and future challenges, and design, implement and roll out shared technology solutions across the studio.
- Identify development areas and/or projects requiring additional focus and support as and when required to support the realisation of the company’s goals, and track and manage any technical debt across the projects and shared code.
- Have a holistic understanding of the technical and business requirements of all the studio’s projects.
- Proactively pursue the goal of becoming ‘The Best Place to Work’ through a process of regular self-reflection on management practices and development processes, recognising that the success of a manager is measured by the success and happiness of their team members.
- Identify and evaluate potential technologies and/or tools for adoption by the company, including those required to meet business requirements.
- Ensure the server engineering roadmap is appropriately resourced and scoped across the studio in response to changing circumstances and market conditions.
- Be a point of contact for all server engineering queries both from within the engineering team and elsewhere in the company.
- Ensure continuity of delivery of builds as required by the teams and evolve build delivery both for QA and distribution to players.
Our HQ is in the heart of Shoreditch, central London with other offices in Dundee and Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. We’re an agile, creative team with people at the core of our values. We reward our employees with:
- Enhanced Maternity (18 weeks) and Paternity leave (6 weeks)
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working 3 days per week (fully remote until March 2022)
- Excellent salaries
- Private health care
- Access to mental health initiatives such as private mental health coaching
- Support to learn, develop and progress within Hutch
- Free snacks and drinks
- Lots of social events, game launch parties, Friday night drinks and much more
- We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- Come and find out more about Hutch. We make racing games, but it’s not the only thing that drives us - https://www.hutch.io/