- New York
- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Oct. 5, 2021
- Business Applications
At Instabase, we’re passionate about building software to advance the state of the art in computing. We’ve built a fearlessly experimental, customer-obsessed team that is making discoveries to fundamentally change how people build and consume business applications. Today, we’re partnering with the world’s leading companies to transform how they use data and technology. If these challenges excite you, we would love for you to join us.
Our legal team partners closely with team members across functions - including product, engineering, data, strategic partnerships, and sales - to work on a wide range of matters and represent Instabase with various external stakeholders. Our legal team is actively involved in establishing the company’s processes and priorities, and is responsible for helping Instabase navigate complex issues. Our team operates with one of Sun Szu’s most famous principles in mind: “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
As our first legal hire you will be responsible for helping develop and scale our legal processes. You will partner with our sales and customer success teams to advise and execute on initiatives. You will be a first principles thinker and approach every problem with the question “What is the right answer for Instabase?” not just “What do other legal teams or lawyers do?”
Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, you’ll be with building the foundation of Instabase’s legal & compliance function.
- This position is located in San Francisco or New York City.
What you’ll do
- Draft, review, approve, and provide oversight of all company agreements, including key agreements relating to strategic partners, suppliers and vendors, customers, software and technology licensing, data, employment, consulting, etc.
- Work closely with sales and customer success teams to negotiate, draft and finalize Master Subscription Agreements, Data Processing Addendums, Professional Services Agreements, Statements of Work, Nondisclosure Agreements, channel related agreements and other types of commercial agreements as required.
- Coordinate with GTM leadership and cross-functional integration teams to create contract templates and negotiation playbooks as well as enhance contract processes and operations in support of a high volume of technology transactions.
- Handle a variety of ad-hoc projects across the department supporting business, legal, and strategic corporate initiatives as needed.
- Experience juggling multiple projects at once and delivering on time based on business priority.
- Serve as a trusted partner to sales, customer success and renewals in supporting our customer base in add on and expansion opportunities while maintaining focus on continued customer success and satisfaction.
- 5+ years of experience in corporate transactional work, with a preference for at least 2 years of in-house legal experience with growing businesses, ideally with experience navigating commercial agreements with F500 customers.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to act decisively in situations requiring quick but careful analysis, seeking to provide the most effective solution
- You have an ownership mentality. We sweat the details, we work incredibly hard, we drive things to the very end.
- You have superlative communication skills, and take great pleasure in distilling and expressing even the most complex ideas in a clear, straightforward way.
- Ability to elicit and calibrate advice to client risk tolerance.
- You have a J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent), with excellent academic credentials.
- You have a license to practice law in the State of California or New York.
Instabase is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in all forms. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other unlawful factor. Instabase complies with local laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.