- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- May. 18, 2021
- Business Applications
At Instabase, we’re passionate about building software to advance the state of the art in computing. We’ve built a fearlessly experimental, customer-obsessed team that is making discoveries to fundamentally change how people build and consume business applications. Today, we’re partnering with the world’s leading companies to transform how they use data and technology. If these challenges excite you, we would love for you to join us.
Our legal & compliance team partners closely with team members across functions - including product, engineering, data, strategic partnerships, and sales - to work on a wide range of matters and represent Instabase with various external stakeholders. Our legal & compliance team is actively involved in establishing the company’s processes and priorities, and is responsible for helping Instabase navigate complex issues. Our team operates with one of Sun Szu’s most famous principles in mind: “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
As our first legal hire you will be responsible for growing our legal and compliance function. You will partner with our leadership team to advise and execute on initiatives. It will be your responsibility to scale a team that can meet the evolving legal and compliance needs of Instabase. Finally, you will be a first principles thinker and approach every problem with the question “What is the right answer for Instabase?” not just “What do other legal teams or lawyers do?”
Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, you’ll be charged with building the foundation of Instabase’s legal & compliance function.
- This position is located in San Francisco.
What you’ll do
- Provide strategic legal advice to the leadership team on various matters, with the objective of ensuring that Instabase’s structure, strategies, policies, and programs are developed and applied in accordance with achieving Instabase’s mission.
- Build a lean, world class Legal function by hiring high caliber in-house resources and effectively overseeing legal services, including selection and maintenance of external counsel.
- Own the company’s intellectual property strategy, with focus on defending strategic IP and negotiating technology licensing agreements.
- Draft, review, approve, and provide oversight of all company agreements, including key agreements relating to strategic partners, suppliers and vendors, customers, software and technology licensing, data, employment, consulting, etc.
- Gain a deep understanding of privacy and other regulations impacting the business, including the CCPA and GDPR, and translate that understanding into actionable guidance for business teams.
- Oversee Instabase’s adoption and adherence of different compliance processes and standards.
- Collaborate with our HR and Operations teams on compliance, employee relations, core operations (e.g., lease agreements), and coordination with our nonprofit parent entity.
- Prepare and deliver training and compliance presentations to employees and leadership.
- 5+ years of experience in corporate transactional work, with a preference for at least 2 years of in-house legal experience with growing businesses, ideally with some experience navigating dispute resolution, litigation, and issues in a commercial context
- Exceptional judgment and ability to act decisively in situations requiring quick but careful analysis, seeking to provide the most effective solution
- You have an ownership mentality. We sweat the details, we work incredibly hard, we drive things to the very end.
- You have superlative communication skills, and take great pleasure in distilling and expressing even the most complex ideas in a clear, straightforward way.
- Ability to elicit and calibrate advice to client risk tolerances
- You have experience advising on data privacy and security matters, including shepherding a company through the process of achieving GDPR compliance and Privacy Shield certification.
- You have a J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent), with excellent academic credentials.
- You have a license to practice law in the State of California.
Instabase is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in all forms. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other unlawful factor. Instabase complies with local laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.