- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 14, 2021
- Business Applications
Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity?
We are seeking our first Director of SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting in San Francisco! This is a critical and high-profile role with the unique opportunity to roll up your sleeves and build the external reporting process from the ground up, support building Intercom’s technical accounting policies and work on complex transactions. This role will play an integral part in Intercom’s growth and success and will be part of a savvy accounting team. This position will also provide technical advisory support to the broader accounting team and will collaborate closely with cross functional departments including Legal, Investor Relations, FP&A and Stock Administration as well as interface with outside technical advisors and auditors. This position reports to the Corporate Controller.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, a great communicator and enjoys collaborating with people with a diverse set of talents. We are looking for someone with strong technical accounting skills, who is passionate about delivering quality results and driving continual improvement in a dynamic, high-growth environment.
What will I be doing?
- Lead the design and buildout of the SEC reporting structure, including implementation and management of external reporting software solution
- Oversee the Company’s financial reporting process and future SEC reporting (S-1 / S-4, 10-Q’s, 10-K’s, proxy statements, earnings releases, etc.)
- Create and maintain internal and future external reporting calendar, coordinate key timelines and deliverables, and work collaboratively with various business partners to ensure timely, accurate and complete reporting and future public filings
- Work with SEC in drafting responses to comment letters, pre-clearance of technical issues and clearing proxy and proforma and other disclosure requirements
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls in relation to the financial reporting process
- Responsible for assessment and implementation of all technical accounting topics impacting the company, including evaluation, documentation and communication of all new accounting standards, SEC reporting and general reporting trends
- Proactively research, analyze and benchmark the disclosures of peer companies, competitors and industry trends
- Develop and manage strong, collaborative relationships with peers in finance and business partners across the organization to understand the business and apply that knowledge to the financial statements and reporting
- Work closely with external auditors, business leaders and senior management to ensure communication of critical issues in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain a monthly and quarterly reporting deck for accounting leadership and BOD purposes
- Develop key reports from Netsuite to support monthly and quarterly reporting; work cross functionally to gather key financial metrics to support month end fluctuation analysis and support monthly reporting
- Establish, develop and maintain Intercom’s critical accounting policies
- Lead or participate in special projects as needed
What skills do I need?
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field of study
- CPA certification, active license status required
- 10+ years of experience, preferably with combination of experience with a Big 4 public accounting firm and relevant financial reporting experience at a public company
- Strong technical accounting background with a thorough knowledge of US GAAP, SOX and SEC reporting standards, as well as experience with technical research and preparation of accounting position papers
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening skills as well as ability to effectively use accounting knowledge to collaborate, guide, and interact professionally with a wide range of personnel at various levels within the organization to drive sound business decisions
- Ability to clearly and concisely document and effectively communicate complex accounting and reporting issues to finance and non-finance personnel
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with great attention to details
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, multi-task efficiently and manage individuals
- Demonstrated integrity and professionalism
- Passionate and enthusiastic about remaining up to date on current trends and practices
- NetSuite experience a plus
- Familiar with Workiva or other external reporting platforms
- We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.