- Date Posted
- Nov. 1, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the leading suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through next-gen conversational support, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity?
We are looking for Senior engineers to join the team that enables the core technologies that Intercom is built on. This is for you if you are passionate about areas such as: Ruby on Rails, EmberJS, React, Elasticsearch, MySQL, or building resilient systems at scale on top of AWS technologies. Previous projects from the team include future-proofing our databases through sharding and decreasing the operational load of running Elasticsearch at scale. We’re currently rolling out Embroider to our EmberJS apps. We’re a large team split into areas of focus such as frontend technologies, search, and datastores.
Our growth rate is faster than almost every other SaaS company and we continually face many exciting scaling challenges. We’re building a robust platform where your expertise can be applied to areas such as building a beautiful Messenger, an efficient teammate experience, a secure by default system, all while scaling the platform to billions of users.
Learn more about our engineering culture at intercom.engineering.
What will I be doing?
- Contribute to our technical strategy and architecture as we grow. We scale to service requests from all our customers’ customers. We’re growing and so are they.
- Care about agility and simplicity as much as you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight.
- Contribute to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and implementation. This role has a mix of both hands-on development as well as lead/architecture work and enablement.
- Collaborating with other world-class domain experts.
- Play an active role in hiring, mentoring, and career development of other engineers.
- Raise the bar for technical standards, performance, reliability, and operational excellence.
What skills do I need?
- Deep knowledge of a part of our stack that you wish to specialize in. For example, Ruby on Rails, Elasticsearch, React, EmberJS, MySQL, or AWS datastore technologies.
- Ideally, you’ve built a SaaS product in a previous role and loved the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you’ve created.
- Significant, demonstrated impact that your work has had on the product and/or the teams you worked with.
- Proficient with standard software engineering methodologies, e.g. unit testing, object-oriented design, data structures, code reviews, design documentation.
- Knowledge of how modern web applications work as well as distributed systems.
- Able to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Ability to learn quickly, iterate, unblock yourself, and persist until the right problem is solved.
- We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.