- Date Posted
- May. 26, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity?
Intercom is a world leader in customer support products. We’ve built a development centre of excellence in London and we are looking for a Senior Product Engineer to join our family.
You’ll be part of one of our product teams which are multidisciplinary with design, frontend and backend engineering combined. Our most effective people work across design and implementation, making the right technology decisions to build the best product.
This is more than a technical role, you’ll be a creative product and technical contributor. You’ll use your experience to inform our engineering process and decisions when building new features and ensuring scalability and availability of the entire platform.
One of our senior engineers, joining from a major PaaS provider, described his experience as “Before, I saw customers through a very large telescope. Now I’m right beside them.” As a company we are constantly obsessing over our customers’ success - in fact that’s one of our values - so we love the satisfaction of hearing how happy our customers are with what we build for them.
What will I be doing?
As an experienced engineer you will:
- Develop technical plans and contribute to our technical architecture as we scale our products to serve tens of millions of people every day.
- Write Ruby code, which knits together a lot of AWS, infrastructure, platform and SaaS technologies that form the core of Intercom’s backend infrastructure
- Ship a change to production on your first day and a feature in your first week. That “day one” change is automatically deployed to production along with 100 other deployments (on average) each weekday
- Grow your team’s capacity by mentoring other engineers and interviewing candidates. This is a chance to be an integral part of building and growing a team.
What skills do I need?
- 5+ years of industry experience in a software engineering role, preferably building a SaaS product. You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had on the product and/or the team.
- Deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working)
- Experience collaborating directly with product teams and designers, and a proven track record of delivering value to customers or users. Engineers at Intercom are pragmatists who work closely with others on cross-disciplinary teams
- Experience with Distributed systems
- We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.