- Date Posted
- Aug. 10, 2021
- Technical & Customer Support
- Business Applications
Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity?
- Do you have a strong need to understand how and why things work the way they do? Are you acutely aware of customer experience and upset when a company you’re dealing with lets you down? If you have some engineering or web development experience and want to be a part of creating truly exceptional customer experiences then the Customer Support team at Intercom is right for you.
- We’re looking for a support engineer to join our team in Sydney. This is a very hands-on, technical role, that is much broader than a typical ticket-based support position. Our Support Engineers partner with our customers to tackle the challenging technical issues they face in innovative ways. In this role, you will be directly responsible for helping people integrate Intercom into their products, diagnose and report problems they have, and serve as the bridge between our customers and our product teams.
- We use Intercom to support Intercom customers, so whether you’re just starting out in your career or want to get a deeper understanding of fundamental customer motivations and how those are applied to building an ambitious, world-class product, this role provides that great opportunity. We have all experienced terrible customer service. Robotic agents running through a script of predetermined messages, never helping or sympathizing, just programmatically following instructions. That’s the opposite of who we are.
- Our way of providing support is based on the principles of continuity and trust and our style of communication is personal, friendly and fun. We engage in dynamic conversations with our customers and are big fans of visual communication (think emojis, stickers, GIFs) - we believe that visual support is human support!
- This opportunity is for folks who truly love supporting customers and sees themselves in a customer facing role long term. This is not a springboard into other areas or jobs at Intercom. This is a great role for those who are looking to be part of our support team for a while and who are excited about supporting Intercom’s growth with personal experiences.
What will I be doing?
- Debug complex issues with an understanding of both our own codebase and the many technologies employed by our customers
- Solve technical problems for customers on a daily basis
- Utilize inherited and learned technical knowledge (including but not limited to: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, Pusher, nginx, Sinatra, Sidekiq, and lots more) to build tools that will help increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the team and its processes
- Influence the direction of the Intercom product through daily communication with our customers and consistent collaboration with our product teams
What your first 6 months will look like:
- 30 days - Onboarding to Intercom & Customer Support: You’ll learn what it means to be an Intercomrade and the ins & outs of our product. You will learn the fundamentals to set you up for success, and will be talking to our customers alongside a dedicated mentor.
- 90 days - Helping customers & crushing KPIs: At this point you’ll be fully ready to jump in - helping customers and tracking your performance based on our ambitious yet achievable Key Performance Indicators.
- 6 months - Broadening your impact on the team and your personal development: While supporting customers, you will also have the opportunity to get involved with CS teams and additional projects like social media support, bots & automation, quality assurance, internal support, and more!
What skills do I need?
The basic requirements to be successful in this role are:
- Computer Science degree or 1-2 years working in a web development background
- Previous experience with problem solving in a troubleshooting environment
- However, great support takes more than tech skills, so we also need you to have:
- A real interest in helping a high volume of customers who range from experienced developers to non-technical
- The ability to rapidly switch gears while retaining focus on the bigger picture
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to explain complex topics in easily understood, concise language [English]
- Ambition, eagerness to learn and improve, passion for tech and the future of the internet
Remember that there’s no such thing as the perfect candidate or background, which is what makes us unique and successful! Imposter syndrome is common, but we’d love to hear from you. So please don’t hesitate to apply, even if you don’t tick every box on this page!
Bonus skills & attributes
- Strong knowledge of Ruby and/or Ember.js frameworks
- Familiarity with native mobile development (iOS and/or Android)
- We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Healthcare stipend towards private health insurance for you and your partner/spouse
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.