- New York
- Date Posted
- Oct. 6, 2021
- Business Applications
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
- Our Values
- If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You have a passion for continuously improving your knowledge of health insurance underwriting, and enjoy tackling complex problems with creative solutions. You have a genuine interest in the personal and professional growth of members in your team. You can effectively delegate tasks and get your team on the same page so that everyone works toward the same end goal.
As the Manager of Health Insurance Underwriting on the Risk & Underwriting team, you will help the Health Underwriting team grow through analyzing plan performance, coaching new underwriters on risk fundamentals, developing solutions to enhance workflow and program profitability.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Manage a team of 6-8 underwriting professionals who apply sound, creative underwriting, and business judgment in the timely analysis and evaluation of group health applications
- Provide development and training of underwriting staff, sales teams, and other departments in the principles and practices of underwriting and rating
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with Justworks designated health insurance carrier(s)
- Evaluate carrier business rules to ensure compliance
- Inform stakeholders of changes to underwriting requirements and/or relevant processes and procedures
- Audit underwriting files for accuracy and appropriate documentation
- Participate in department projects and special assignments
- Performs other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Manager of Health Insurance Underwriting, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Ethical practice - the ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You’re willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you’ll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum 5 years experience underwriting health insurance
- Minimum 2 years of people and team management experience
- Experience with group actuarial pricing, rating, and underwriting methodologies
- Must be very detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills
- Experience working with PEOs preferred
- Experience with individual medical underwriting a plus
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.