- New York
- Date Posted
- Jul. 6, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
- Our Values
- If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Are you passionate about design and development? Do you have experience building, deploying, and maintaining large-scale, distributed applications? Are you ready to take your skills to the next level and join a team of innovative self-starters in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment?
As a Staff Software Engineer, you have a demonstrated ability to own and lead the implementation of innovative solutions in a high-growth environment. You understand the concept of “separation of concerns” and have leveraged design patterns to solve technical challenges. You spend significant amounts of time directly assisting and leveling up other engineers. You look for signal in the noise, and can detect and resolve issues before they become problems.
The Benefits Platform team is a new investment at Justworks, and operates as an autonomous and tight knit cross-functional unit. The team is responsible for accelerating the growth of the core business by building and running a new, hyper flexible benefits platform that will serve as the launch pad for multiple new products, services, and partnerships over the next 5 years. Our mission is to make health insurance accessible, inclusive, high-quality, and easy-to-use for all small and medium businesses, regardless of their location, size, or industry.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Own the technical direction of an evergreen initiative operating as a start-up
- Design system architecture from the ground up, write lots of code, and mentor a small team of engineers
- Assume technical responsibility for new services and functionality in order to scale our benefits offering
- Work collaboratively with other engineers, product managers, and designers
- Lead a complex project that will benefit the entire organization
- Help establish and communicate technical standards and best practices. Motivate other engineers to do the same.
- Build features and functionality that our customers use directly, typically in an iterative fashion taking into account user feedback
- Enjoy the fun and creativity of an early stage start-up with the support and expertise of a larger organization.
- Guide the team in defining technical requirements and solutions that drive projects through to completion
- Leverage your MVP mindset to create iterative milestones
- Identify risks and dependencies
- Provide guidance and support growth in other engineers on the team and across other teams
- Enhance our testing, monitoring and continuous deployment infrastructure
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Staff Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it’s working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You’re willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you’ll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 8 years of professional hands-on software development experience
- At least two years as a tech lead of a group of three or more software engineers
- Strong systems architecture and coding/scripting skills
- Experience working using Agile Scrum methodology in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in a high-growth environment working with deadlines and milestones
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
- Experience proactively collaborating across different engineering teams
- Experience working with complicated systems at scale
- Experience building APIs
- Tech stack for this initiative will be up to the team. We expect staff candidates to leverage a diverse skill set.
- ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Redshift, CircleCI, DataDog
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.