- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jan. 12, 2022
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box - we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
About the role:
Kong is growing and so is the Accounting team. We are looking for a Senior Manager of Revenue Accounting, who is ready for a fast-paced environment and is ready to make an impact. This person must bring a high level of energy along with a can-do attitude and a sense of curiosity. This position has exposure to all executives across the organization and the ability to grasp multiple business models.
- Why should you want to work at Kong?
- Market Opportunity - We are on a quest to build a $10b+ software company over the next few years and need YOUR help!
- APIs are driving innovation across every industry!
- Strong VC team, Series D, strong year over year revenue growth!
- Technical Leadership - We are recognized as the leader in innovation in the connectivity space.
- Marco, our CTO/co-founder - “We are the Cisco of L4 and L7” - CUBE Conversation, March 2021
- We are the leading innovator in the connectivity space!
- Amazing Team & Culture - Come be a “Konger” and find out what we mean.
- Great Place to Work Certified in 2020 & 2021
- Kong employees discuss our culture at our 2020 Company Kickoff
- Building Great Products - Learn why the world’s largest companies love our tech!
- Kong Named a Leader in the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Over 250m+ downloads of our open source API gateway! Over 40k+ stars on Github between Kong API and Kong Insomnia!
What you’ll be doing:
- Partner with the Sales and Sales Operations teams and the executives in those teams to drive bookings and revenues that reflect company objectives while complying with internal policies and with GAAP.
- Drive ASC 606 technical memos updates and related policies, as well as ASC 340, capitalized commissions, liaising with external auditors.
- Advise on billings and revenue recognition impact as it relates to new product offerings and new sales or channel programs.
- Oversee the implementation of subscription billings, consumption and other critical order to cash projects.
- Help drive the month-end and quarter-end close processes for the revenue team and support FP&A in building bookings and revenue forecasts
- Be a key contributor to the Deal Desk process and work closely with the sales teams in pre-sales contract negotiation to ensure business and revenue recognition objectives and requirements are achieved.
- Train sales organization on order to cash business processes and revenue accounting.
- Oversee billing operations and order management to ensure timely, accurate and complete bookings and billing information for accounting and reporting.
- Drive continuous system enhancements with Sales Operations, Product and Technical Operations as it relates to all orders to cash processes to improve efficiencies and ensure scalability.
- Interface with auditors and manage all order to cash and commissions related audit requirements
- Provide ad-hoc analysis and support for general financial operations as needed to support business and any other special projects.
- Collaborate with senior leadership on all revenue recognition matters, present revenue recognition topics to senior management.
- Ability to step into new business models and revenue streams and drive to a conclusion and advise on certain accounting treatments.
- Support staffing, structuring and developing a best in class team to continue to efficiently scale with the business.
What you’ll bring:
- 8+ years of progressive experience within the finance operations and accounting organization.
- High-growth and SaaS industry is preferred; multi-national experience is a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years in a leadership/management position in an accounting organization, with demonstrated ability and track record of success in driving change and improving operations.
- Familiarity with Open Source Software revenue recognition is a plus.
- Strong understanding and demonstrated experience in proper revenue accounting processes under current revenue recognition for enterprise software and SaaS arrangements (“606”). Solid technical background and skills.
- Ability to research technical guidance, interpret the guidance and prepare auditor-ready memorandums on revenue related topics
- Solid experience with Netsuite, Advance Revenue Module and Salesforce is a plus; experience with system implementations is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with and influence management and contributors at all levels of the organization and across functions.
- Strong, proven leader with a demonstrated track record in training and developing high-performing teams. We are seeking a proactive leader and effective coach committed to the development and engagement of their teams.
- Ability to respond to, prioritize effectively and meet deadlines while maintaining the highest of standards for completeness and accuracy.
- Possess the ability to influence others and make effective decisions under pressure.
- Ability to effectively operate in a fast-paced team environment with the ability to adapt to change.
- Strong technical and analytical skills.
- Excellent time and project management skills - can coordinate multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced business culture.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance required. CPA or equivalent is strongly preferred.
- Experience at a Big 4 accounting firm in assurance or consulting is a must.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
What is a Konger?
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
- Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
- Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
- Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
- Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
- Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
- Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.