- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 29, 2021
Are you ready to power the World’s connections?
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
About the role:
The Finance & Business Operations team provides strategic, operational, and financial decision support at the corporate and departmental level. The team’s mission is to define and defend Kong’s business model while accelerating the company’s growth. We make what is complex simple, and with analysis that is accurate and easy-to-understand. You’ll gain experience partnering with leaders, improve capital allocation through improving the financial planning and headcount management systems, and automate and scale internal reporting. Business partners appreciate our insight and trust us to help them solve difficult problems across the company. We trust you to collaborate with others, form intelligent opinions, and present your thoughts to decision-makers and the executive team. This position will support Kong’s different business units and interface with other Finance & Business Operations team members to develop an intimate understanding of the overall business.
What you’ll be doing:
- Corporate Planning & Forecasting. Build a strong foundational understanding of the company’s P&L and flow of finances to generate insights used for financial analysis and scenario planning. You will help develop Kong’s corporate model in Adaptive and support strategic planning, forecasting and resource allocation.
- Headcount Planning & Management. Partner with Kong’s recruiting team and other Finance & Business Operations teammates to operationalize headcount and hiring plans. In doing so, you will help manage and guide the financial planning process across organizations that the Finance & Business Operations team supports.
- Management Reporting. Support key corporate reporting requirements to Board of Directors and Executive Team, e.g. company-level KPI tracking, performance to plan, budget vs. actual variance analysis, etc.
- Drive Efficiency and Scale. Continuously standardize and improve reporting frameworks, systems, and processes to create leverage for the Finance & Business Operations team and help Kong scale. You will help develop and refine capacity plans and allocation methodologies that will be used in evaluating investment decisions across Kong’s ecosystem, inform product decisions and drive enterprise value.
- Business Support. Support leaders across Kong along with other Finance & Business Operations team members (i.e. Finance partner for Finance) to understand historical financial and operational performance and determine what the impact will be on future decisions. You will communicate financial analysis and provide recommendations across the organization.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a quantitative field, MBA or equivalent preferred.
- Relevant experience in operating roles at startups or scaling tech companies combined with a background in investment banking, strategy consulting, private equity, or FP&A.
- Consistent track record of success and career progression
- Excel pro with the superpower to develop insightful financial models and quantitative analysis, paired with strong critical thinking and sound business judgment.
- Comfortable building new processes in an ERP system and familiarity with human capital management software.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Sharp attention to detail with a natural feel for numbers and data, and have a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- High level of intellectual curiosity, focus on generating results and having impact, deep interest in problem solving.
- Proactive in surfacing key issues to upper management.
- Working knowledge of GAAP and ability to apply to forward looking financial models.
- Familiarity working with a financial planning tool such as Adaptive Planning or Anaplan
- When things break, get your hands dirty and troubleshoot issues that arise.
- Passion for fast-paced entrepreneurial and above all else collaborative work environments.
If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply because skills can be used in lots of different roles at Kong.
What is a Konger? (see our company values below…)We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
- Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
- Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
- Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
- Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
- Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
- Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.