- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- May. 23, 2021
- Software Engineering
Are you ready to power the World’s connections?
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
About the role:
OCTO (Office of the CTO) is a team at Kong working directly with the CTO that has the privilege to build features and products that keep Kong relevant in the years to come without being bound to the engineering and customer roadmaps. As an OCTO engineer within the Service Mesh team, you will be working on forward-thinking and exciting features with a strong focus on innovation. You will be responsible for keeping Kong relevant in the future, discovering and producing cutting edge industry trends and use-cases. Since working in uncharted territories requires constant feedback, you will work with early users and customers to gather that feedback and iterate on solutions. Whenever something OCTO builds becomes very successful we know it’s time to hand it off to the engineering team to make it part of the roadmap. As such, you will get to work with other teams at Kong in order to integrate your work into the public product offering.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work on innovative, cutting edge, features and products
- Show passion and determination to always be up to date with the latest industry trends
- Extend Kong to support the latest industry trends
- Introduce new features and functionality to Kong and its underlying stack
- Build new innovative products that extend Kong’s offering, and take a hands-on approach at every stage of the process, including architecture, design and implementation
- Collect feedback from early adopters of the products/features OCTO is building to improve our work
- When needed, make yourself available to other functions at Kong - like marketing, sales and customer success - in order to enable them to market, sell and support the features and products we are building
- Fill the gaps between Kong and third-party deployment platforms and tooling (ie, CI/CD platforms, and so on)
- And any additional tasks required by manager
What you’ll bring:
- 3+ years of experience developing, packaging and delivering applications
- 3+ years programming server-side applications and components (extra points if in C, Go, or Lua)
- Experience designing, prototyping, building and debugging applications that are highly scalable, distributed, reliable and resilient
- Deep understanding of the Linux networking stack, distributed and decoupled architectures, and eventual consistency models. Kong works with APIs on both L7 and L4 transports and protocols, so this expertise and knowledge is required.
- As such, deep knowledge of HTTP(s) and TLS stacks are very desirable
- Experience working with Docker containers and orchestration platforms like Kubernetes
- Comfortable with git and Github workflows
- Comfortable with working with users and customers to gather feedback and make them successful
- Comfortable working with a remote distributed team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills -- engineers at Kong write the documentation for their products
- Hands on experience with Nginx/OpenResty/Lua
- Hands on experience with Envoy or Istio
- For more information about Kong, please visit https://konghq.com/ or follow @thekonginc on Twitter. 2019 Kong Summit Highlight Video
Kong Core Values:
Global - We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger. We seek to understand different points of view and their implications on work.
Real - We are genuine, principled and confident without an attitude. We seek to understand our own strengths and vulnerabilities. We understand the effect of external factors on ourselves and we manage our own emotions and understand the effect they have on other people.
Unstoppable - We are biased towards action and decision, we persevere and always go the extra mile. We understand how to prioritize and work with urgency and focus. We are self-motivated and exhibit a high personal drive.
Champion - We listen and speak up for customers, community, partners and each other. We have an ability to provide feedback that is specific, constructive and fact-based. We listen, are able to receive feedback without taking it personally and we look at our own performance in order to improve.
Explorer - We challenge the status quo by discovering, innovating, failing fast and learning. We are self-directing and use creativity when solving problems that may be complex and ambiguous. We are adaptable, able to navigate and solve problems, especially in times of rapid change and high-ambiguity.