- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Oct. 6, 2021
A bit about us
Lever was founded nine years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We’ve rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
The Lever team has achieved a ton and is a market leader in the Talent Acquisition space. As Lever’s Head of Accounting, you’ll lead a team to help drive impact across the company, and be supported by the VP of Finance & Strategy who believes strongly in this work to be your champion.
You will be a key leader for the financial operations of our rapidly growing SAAS enterprise company. You will be responsible for providing technical accounting expertise, improvement of financial processes, and inspiration and development of our high performing accounting team. You must be a hands-on, roll up your sleeves type of manager and should enjoy a fast-paced, start-up environment as well as the demonstrated experience building and developing a team. Equally important to strong people leadership skills, you embrace ambiguity and the task of creating an infrastructure to support future growth as Lever expands. Particularly important traits and skills include curiosity, intelligence, logical thinking, ability to prioritize, and enthusiasm for change.
The business decisions Lever makes as we grow are guided by careful considerations made by our Accounting and Strategic Finance organization. This is a close-knit, incredibly smart, energetic team of finance and strategy professionals that supports Lever’s every financial decision and is responsible for being the backbone of our financial efficacy. You’ll join the team at an incredibly important inflection point--this is the team that will take Lever from 200+ employees and beyond our series D. The team also has a variety of backgrounds and talents--we have a writer, DJ’s, athletes and even a game show winner--and supports each other significantly from key everyday processes to strategic projects.
As the Head of Accounting, you’ll be responsible for ensuring your team member’s success, through one-on-one meetings, timely feedback, and career pathing.
The skill set
You will own all of accounting, including revenue recognition, general ledger, accounts payable, payroll and commissions, taxes, treasury services, equity and consolidation. The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee all aspects of financial accounting including financial procedures and controls, financial period close, and financial statement preparation and analysis
- Oversee the financial systems and infrastructure to scale with business growth and drive controls, efficiency and accuracy of all financial reporting processes
- Oversee banking relationships, including cash management and investing activities.
- Manage the relationship with external auditors and accounting/tax advisors
- Oversee US and international tax compliance
- Provide adequate structure and discipline around internal controls
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources
- Deliver accurate and timely results reporting to management, shareholders, regulators, and the Board of Directors
- What we look for in you
- 10 or more years of experience in an accounting/finance role working in quickly growing companies
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hyper-growth venture-backed startup
- Experience with Enterprise Software companies and a strong understanding of SaaS Bookings based business model and operating metrics
- Strong technical accounting expertise and understanding of GAAP and ASC606
- Excellent analytical, communication skills and business acumen; ability to effectively collaborate, business partner and drive initiatives cross-functionally
- Modern process and tool thinking. Fluency in Netsuite, Salesforce, Quote-to-cash and close process technology highly preferred; Advanced working knowledge of Google Workplace, Microsoft Office required
- Experience with Operational Due Diligence process / fundraising / M&A a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field, CPA certification and/or MBA preferred, (but not required)
Within 1 month, you’ll
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive virtual onboarding program designed to jumpstart Leveroos and get them to full productivity as quickly as possible, while gaining a broader understanding about how their role fits into the org, Lever’s product, mission, etc.
- Complete initial 1:1s with team members: learn about their role, responsibilities, and understand how their work and impact fits into the broader Lever ecosystem
- Conduct initial meetings with key stakeholders, from sales leadership to org leaders to understand their needs, their teams, how they work with the finance team, and other areas
- Review the close calendar and supervise your first months close, with a view to providing feedback and suggestions for subsequent months
- Familiarize yourself with the General Ledger and Monthly financials and supervise the first month’s preparation
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Own the General Ledger, Treasury and Technical Accounting functions to include oversight of the Accounts Receivable and Payable functions
- Supervise the monthly close process and consolidation, making sure of its completion on time and accuracy before presenting to the VP Finance.
- Review the General Ledger and Financials to ensure compliance with GAAP
- Engage with Audit Firm to conduct Lever’s fiscal year audit
- Design a detailed timeline to complete the Audit
- Review all tax filings and become familiar with all tax deadlines to ensure compliance
- Fully inherit relationships with banks and other external advisors
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Oversee the production and distribution of financial reporting on a timely basis
- Close the books for our current fiscal year
- Direct and participate in the preparation of all the workpapers for the audit on a timely basis including all memos for any relevant areas
- Evaluate any new technical accounting developments and recommend appropriate actions
- Build and evolve upon our existing internal controls and processes to ensure accuracy of financial reporting, integrity of corporate data and the safeguarding of assets
- Work with the Strategic Finance team to coordinate timely publishing of metrics, forecasts and budgets as well as understanding any plan to actual variances
Within 12 months, you’ll
- Participate in the annual budgeting process by meeting with key stakeholders from each department
- Technical lead. Lead team to assess and ensure compliance based ASC 606, new FASB pronouncements and any other industry technical guidance
- Oversee establishment and ongoing management of overseas entities from an accounting and tax perspective
- Super user of Netsuite or existing ERP systems, lead implementation of expanded reporting capabilities. Spearhead interdepartmental cooperation and drive initiatives enhance our tools ecosystem.
Is this role not an exact fit?
The lever story
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.