- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 15, 2021
A bit about us
Lever was founded eight years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We’ve rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
We know that automating repeatable tasks and planning resilient IT infrastructure for future scale is what can allow our dedicated staff to flourish and focus their talents on building a stronger business to serve and delight our customers. In this role you will own the architecting, building, testing, and deployment of solutions for our fast-moving and talented internal teams. With your many years of experience in systems administration, network design, and creativity, you will use your skills to build a stronger technology backbone that will level up the productivity of all the teams at Lever. You’ll also help to teach the next generation of IT practitioners by modeling the craft and science of IT automation and efficiency to our junior staff.
Reporting to and partnering with our Senior Director of IT and Security, you’ll do work that transforms the productivity of Lever’s staff. You will be designing and building the next generation of Lever’s IT infrastructure to support the business as it continues to grow. You’ll have the chance to see your creativity, skills and methodical approach bring value to projects from inception to completion. The impact of your work and projects will be felt by everyone on the team.
We’re looking for someone with a builder mindset; confident in the foundations of sustainable systems administration. When pairing with our Senior Director, you will have the opportunity to show how investments in IT systems and automation can pay big dividends to the bottom line and lift up the productivity of the entire workforce.
We never lose sight of our highest priority: ensuring that all Lever staff are supported to do their best work and company data secure. These goals drive all that we do, and we’re excited to bring someone on board who will creatively build the perfect mix of secure and efficient systems. While you’ll have the chance to teach and help develop our IT staff, we know that the work you will do will have a transformative impact on every contributor at Lever.
We’ve built a diverse team of IT professionals who care about what they do and for the people who use the technology they build, configure and support. Our junior staff is hungry to learn and build information systems that meet and exceed the needs of Lever’s business today. The IT team is closely partnered with our People Operations, Revenue Operations and Security team to build for productivity, scale and trust. The team is led by our Senior Director of IT and Security who has led various types of Ops, IT and cyber-security teams over the years in very different small companies and makes sure that we have a great time while doing great work. The IT team reports up to our CFO. And we all report up to our amazing customers.
The skill set
- Passion for empathy, clarity and communication
- Years of designing, building and deploying applications and networks on Unix-like systems
- You’ve stood up, administered and hosted database management systems like MySQL or PostgreSQL
- You’re proficient in at least two programming or scripting languages
- Highly organized practice of personal project management
- You roll up your sleeves and refactor before tech-debt begins to pile up
- Obsessive habits with documenting systems and change management
- Your disaster recovery plans have saved the day
- Commitment to developing a modern cyber-security culture amongst users and business stakeholders
- You could tell us some stories of times when an IT tool you needed didn’t exist or wasn’t good enough so you just wrote your own
- You love seeing your creations solve business problems
Within 1 month, you’ll
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new employees. You’ll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever’s broader organization.
- Determine requirements, design, and craft an initial draft implementation plan for a cloud-based greenfield linux hosting environment for corporate applications.
- Assist our IT engineering team in building better automation scripts, coding and housekeeping practices.
- Become comfortable with the technical requirements specified by our Security policy
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Complete the implementation on an improved availability monitoring and alerting system
- Design, build and test improved corporate disaster recovery processes and technologies
- In collaboration with our product infrastructure and security teams, design and implement and improved org wide DNS strategy
- Build out a highly-available linux hosting environment with configuration management
- Design improved secrets and identity management processes
- Automate our internal certificate authority with the ACME protocol
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Implement better secrets and identity management processes company-wide
- Set up and host a highly-available open-source end-point vulnerability management system
- Design and build out an improved hosting environment for our Security Operations Center (SOC)
- Redesign and re-implement company wide remote access
- Work on projects that involve cross-functional stakeholders
Within 12 months, you’ll
- Build automations that promote a 360 customer view
- Build an IT support toolkit to assist our front-line support in troubleshooting
- Improve remote endpoint administration with automations and reporting
- Design and build the backbone of a corporate data warehouse supporting business intelligence and analytics
Is this role not an exact fit?
The lever story
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.