- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 10, 2021
Lever was founded eight years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We’ve rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
The success of the company’s business is driving the need for Lever to scale and expand the scope of its product. The company is making a major investment to decompose the application and to adopt a more service-oriented architecture. This would also enable more teams to work on different aspects of the product in parallel.
Lever is looking for an experienced Principal Engineer/Architect to lead this initiative and to own the overall architecture for its platform and backend systems. This is a unique leadership opportunity for an experienced hands-on architect with a proven track record designing the platform architecture for a large service-oriented enterprise solution and providing thought leadership to the engineering organization.
The Principal Engineer/Architect will be a key leader on a rapidly growing R&D team, with overall responsibility for the system architecture and its implementation.
The skill set
- Demonstrated track record leading the design and development of a service-oriented backend and data platform for an enterprise product.
- Track record establishing processes to ensure architectural consistency
- Working knowledge of MongoDB and ElasticSearch
- Experience with data pipelines and system security for a global as-a-service
Within 1 month, you’ll
- Complete Ramp Camp, our onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on our business, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever’s broader organization.
- Ramp up on Lever’s engineering stack by pair-programming with your teammates and attend engineering training sessions designed and presented by your peers.
- Complete your engineering starter project and deploy your first changes to production!
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Be deeply involved with the development of key backend services and architectural changes, providing architectural and design leadership to the engineers.
- Run backend “engineering roundtable” meetings to promote technical knowledge sharing and architectural best practices.
- Lead and facilitate system engineering design reviews.
- Be actively involved in the design roadmap for the system architecture.
- Have learned the code base by making meaningful enhancements
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Have contributed to implementing changes or enhancing the code to improve its product architecture
- Own the architectural roadmap for the platform
- Presented to executive management the target architecture for a global backend platform, including data pipelines, and the roadmap to get there
Within 12 months, you’ll
- Have created a forward looking technical roadmap for the global system platform
- Have led and delivered projects to advance the system architecture.
- Be providing best practices for component design for the target system architecture, and leading design reviews for them
- Own the technical training plan and onboarding process for new system engineers
- Periodically present to the executive staff the architectural roadmap for how the system will scale to support global business growth.
Is this role not an exact fit?
The lever story
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.