- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 29, 2021
A bit about us
Lever was founded nine years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We’ve rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
At Lever, we’re getting ready to transition into a hybrid work model post-COVID and expand our global footprint. To help us achieve that, our growing team is looking for an experienced Global Facilities Manager to oversee our workplace operations both in existing and new locations worldwide.
As most organizations have felt (and continue to feel), COVID-19 has ushered in a new generation of thought leadership, culture of work, and complex business challenges. This role will be critical in supporting our teams as we adapt and look to accomplish our ambitious goals worldwide. The concept of “workplace” has taken on extra significance since the pandemic started, and as the most direct owner of our workplace strategy and day-to-day, you will play a critical role in Lever’s evolving strategy on the holistic employee experience. It’s also an opportunity to become a thought leader within and beyond Lever on workplace topics - at a time when the whole world is trying to figure this out together!
This person will be an invaluable and strategic team member playing a huge role in informing how we return to work with our hybrid working model that supports our teams and company goals. This person will manage and execute all aspects of our global workplace facility initiatives such as property management, setting up and opening new offices globally (both existing and new cities), charting the course on our global workplace philosophy, and adhering to the appropriate safety measures needed to welcome all Leveroos back to the workplace.
This is the perfect opportunity for you if you’re excited by providing both strategic and hands-on support for our teams at Lever, are motivated by guiding our teams to align their people decisions and designs with our business goals, and making a real difference in our employees’ experience. This is also a great opportunity if you’ve had experience in expanding the geographic footprint of a business, shaping the high-level workplace strategy of a company, and creating a cohesive team culture in new as well as existing areas!
We’re looking for someone who’s excited by the idea of managing our physical workplace facilities globally! You are motivated by rolling up your sleeves and leading the efforts on subleasing current office spaces as needed, overseeing the responsibilities as landlord of our existing SF location, finalizing and setting up our new office locations both in SF and Toronto to welcome back Leveroos, designing and planning for the best use of our office spaces, making continuous improvements to enhance our employees experience, and keeping stakeholders looped in and excited all along the journey.
You enjoy partnering cross-functionally at all levels of the company to execute on business goals and deliverables. You will take what you learn from these “on-the-ground” conversations and use them to influence Lever-wide people programs, processes, and policies as it relates to the workplace. You operate with a sense of urgency and strong attention to detail. You pride yourself on being able to anticipate the needs of the company and communicate those needs to influence relevant stakeholders. You continuously look for opportunities to raise the bar and make our operations more scalable, efficient, and cost saving, while bringing the rest of the company enthusiastically along the way. You’re a master project manager, proactive problem solver, and enjoy working with kind, collaborative, and fun teammates to impact the entire organization.
We’re looking for someone who loves data as much as we do, and is inspired by how we can use that information to inform and cultivate a winning business and culture that perform at its highest level and truly support our values and our people. You’ll own and nurture an excellent pulse on what’s happening across our offices, remote working, and hybrid working design, and collect, analyze, and tell compelling stories with data — in order to inform people and work-related decisions on specific teams as well as across the company.
The Global Workplace Operations Manager will be a key member of the Employee Success team. We are a fun, collaborative bunch who takes our mission seriously: as the Lever team’s strategic internal partners, we ensure all Leveroos have the space, skills, support, and physical and psychological safety that enable them to do their best work and own their own growth. We are the team that helps employees not only go faster and farther, but also do it in the right way.
In partnership with leaders across Lever, we are proving to the world that a company like Lever that truly values people can win in business — in fact, that’s exactly why we will win! If playing a key, active role in this journey sounds exciting to you, let’s chat. Learn more about how we're building a great place to work for all people, from our VP of People, Annie Lin and our approach to opening up the Toronto office.
The skill set
- 3-5+ years of meaningful workplace management experience in a fast-paced technology-focused office environment including in-depth knowledge on subleasing office space and property management; securing, negotiating and opening new offices globally while overseeing necessary build outs and managing within budget; managing vendor relationships, building maintenance, and overseeing stock of kitchen and other key supplies
- Knowledge in workplace technology with experience in implementing and rolling out the appropriate tools that check the boxes in scalability, compliance and automation
- Strong working knowledge of workplace laws and best practice with a track record of designing, developing, and rolling out company policies
- Strong business acumen with the ability to understand and translate business priorities into workplace strategy that are rooted in empathy for a diverse team and prioritized with business goals in mind
- Proven ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior management, managers, customers, suppliers, and contractors
- Track record collecting and analyzing data, both qualitative and quantitative, to inform decisions
- Ability to confidently take a new process or project from ideation through to execution while keeping scope, schedule and cost top of mind
- Strong attention to detail, while being able to handle multiple priorities and multi-task like a pro
- A persuasive, credible and timely communicator with the ability to influence a diverse group of individuals and earns the trust of colleagues and senior management
- Passion for empathy, clarity and communication
- Excellent computer and systems knowledge; Strong literacy in GSuite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), workplace tools (Envoy, Brivo)
- Openness to travel approximately 10% of the time (once safe to do so)
Within 1 month, you’ll
- Complete Ramp Camp, our onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on our business, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever’s broader organization.
- Have 1:1s with key stakeholders/collaborators from cross-functional teams (including IT, the rest of the Employee Success team, and key exec stakeholders) to understand how you can best support them. You’ll gather a wide variety of input and data points to gain an understanding of your internal customers, in order to holistically understand your goals and properly set expectations.
- Work on subleasing our current SF office, including finding new tenants, negotiating terms with them, working with existing tenants, and being a landlord overseeing vendor management to ensure our office maintenance and requirements are kept up to code.
- Take over the project management of opening our SF office, identifying the necessary work requirements needed to successfully open with our hybrid working model in mind.
- Partner with our workplace lead in Toronto to identify our new office location in downtown Toronto, also keeping our hybrid working model top of mind.
- Gain an understanding of our return to work strategy and take over as project manager for reopening our offices, including communicating with internal partners & leaders to ensure alignment and smooth execution that is on time and within budget, and sharing timely and motivating updates with the broader company.
- Take over as the lead for our return to work committee, the team that will assist in helping reopen and launch our offices successfully. Create norms and commitments that are expected in our offices, implementing necessary policies, working with leaders to confirm seating charts (if relevant) and in-office team schedules, making sure our office plans will effectively support those schedules, and ensuring post-COVID safety and environment measures are adhered to.
- Understand the long vision of the Workplace Operations Team, and define your OKRs in collaboration with your manager.
- Work closely with the rest of the Employee Success team on post-COVID requirements such as policies and health & safety procedures including vaccine-related policies, as well as mechanisms to ensure that the Lever team stays connected, productive, inclusive, and engaged in our new hybrid work model.
- Come up with a process to manage incoming/outgoing mail and FedEx packages both before and after we return to offices.
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Open our SF office (with CDC guidelines permitting), making it a welcoming, engaging, productive, and fun place for employees to be excited about returning to. Work with the rest of the People Team to make Day 1 of reopening and beyond a moment of excitement and pride for the company.
- Solidify, finalize, and regularly communicate out our global workplace-related policies, norms, and guidelines (for example new company-wide norms around hybrid working), in partnership with the rest of the Employee Success team and key stakeholders. Ensure leaders and other relevant stakeholders are kept in the loop and bought in.
- Partner with IT to set up workplace tools and begin building out and testing ahead of us reopening our offices.
- Ensure our office plans are aligned with security and compliance needs.
- Take ownership over all things vendor management including identifying and training essential workplace staff necessary to run our offices effectively while staying within budget parameters. Creating SLA’s and KPI’s for key vendors to measure success. Design and put in place efficient and cost-sustainable in-office offerings (snacks, beverages, etc) to have the biggest impact possible on employee experience and productivity.
- Understand what tools/materials are needed for this team, develop a system for inventory tracking as we grow.
- Set up processes and services to ensure the office is a welcoming place to invite guests, candidates, and investors and any workplace maintenance is resolved timely.
- Get ramped on Jira, our internal requests tool, and begin to answer and resolve tickets as well as create additional categories in anticipation of future requests.
- Take over owning workplace comms and proactively let the company know of necessary changes or events related to workplace that may affect them.
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Open our Toronto office (with CDC guidelines permitting), making it a welcoming, engaging, productive, and fun place for employees to be excited about returning to. Work with the rest of the People Team to make Day 1 of reopening and beyond a moment of excitement and pride for the company.
- Engage with the Employee Success team and senior leadership to start planning for EU expansion.
- Partner with the rest of the People Team and managers across the business to modify our interview and onboarding processes and content, with our new hybrid world in mind.
- Build, implement and manage emergency and safety procedures, ensuring disaster recovery and safety plans are in place including overseeing COVID-19 related procedures
- Revamp our internal Wiki, create an FAQ and help articles in order to discover ways to reduce employee ticket requests. This will allow our employees to be self-sufficient and will also reduce the team’s workload.
- Identify and implement a process to ensure that our offices are well stocked, and has the right equipment and tools for employees to be successful in their job while also staying within budget.
- Make recommendations on our process on employee feedback regarding the office, to optimize the feedback loop and ensure that our employees are heard.
- Partner with our EA’s to plan and coordinate events (virtual or in-person) such as travel, supplies, and properly planning out our space to welcome additional Leveroos to our offices.
- Work with the Employee Success team to leverage our workspace and related services to drive company culture and create an excellent employee experience across all locations.
- Gather feedback from across the company on our new world of working, identify key actions to take, and put next steps into motion.
Within 12 months, you’ll
- Travel to global facility locations (approximately 10% of the time), raising the bar of Lever Workplace Operations to employees and senior management.
- Plan, submit, review and manage the global workplace expense and capital budget for the company.
- Work closely with leadership and the Employee Success team to align and proactively start planning for expanding our office locations in our existing locations as well as our strategic hub locations in LA and Chicago (depending on growth in those cohorts)
- Proactively identify and recommend initiatives that focus on service and quality improvements, cost reductions, increased efficiencies, risk mitigation, that’s informed by industry trends and other relevant factors that affect workplace effectiveness and create long term efficiencies.
- Learn interviewing skills as the People team grows and help hire/train a new teammate.
- Educate and empower all Lever employees to develop more self-sufficient habits and ownership regarding workplace related items. Cultivating a culture of quality, reliability, responsibility, and accountability in the workforce. Quantify these achievements and share results with your manager.
Is this role not an exact fit?
The lever story
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.