- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 25, 2021
- Software Engineering
A bit about us
Lever was founded nine years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education rely on to grow their teams. We’ve rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
Lever Hire, Lever’s primary application, is built on top of DerbyJS. DerbyJS is a real-time web framework originally created by Lever founder Nate Smith. After taking on the role of CEO in April this year, Nate is spending more time running the company and less time working on Derby.
This is where you come in. You will help evolve the framework to better serve the needs of its current users at Lever and beyond.
The framework team is small but mighty. You will be joining another Staff engineer to double the size and impact of the team.
You will collaborate closely with a product engineering team that champions cross-functional empathy. You will work directly with an Infrastructure engineering team that is constantly improving the way Lever’s systems operate. You will consult and help guide the engineering, product, and design teams as we build a Lever that helps companies connect human potential to meaningful work.
The skill set
- A desire to teach others with the communication skills needed to effectively share knowledge
- Empathy for the framework users within Lever’s engineering team and empathy for the Lever customer
- Experience or desire to write blog posts and speak at conferences
- 5+ years of professional experience
Within 1 month, you’ll
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on all aspects of the business with a cross-functional cohort of new Leveroos. You’ll learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Lever’s broader organization.
- Finish a small starter project that will help you get acquainted with Lever’s systems
- Meet other open source maintainers of DerbyJS to strengthen communication between Lever and the community
Within 3 months, you’ll
- Master the separation of responsibilities of between Derby, Racer, and ShareDB
- Learn about Derby’s server-side rendering strategy in order to understand how to continuously improve it
- Learn about Derby’s client-side rendering that enables Lever Hire to be a Single Page Application
- Add tests and close open issues in Derby, Racer, and ShareDB
- Contribute to the implementation of an updated ShareDB backend service
Within 6 months, you’ll
- Optimize the performance of DOM bindings and DerbyJS’s event emitter
- Add features to the ShareDB service that improve application performance
- Write a blog post about updates to DerbyJS
- Contribute to the long-term roadmap of DerbyJS
Within 12 months, you’ll
- Attend a conference as a DerbyJS representative
- Optimize DOM rendering performance using an innovative DOM templating technique
- Improve DerbyJS’s integration with web packaging technologies to enable faster reloading in development
- Improve the application of data access control in ShareDB
- Enhance performance investigation tools that integrate with Derby, Racer, and ShareDB
Is this role not an exact fit?
The lever story
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Atlassian, KPMG, and McGraw-Hill Education, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.