- Tempe, AZ
- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
- Business Intelligence
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the Role
Every day we solve tough problems to create surprising and delightful experiences for our users. We’re responsible for guiding multidisciplinary teams toward a common goal: shipping high quality products and features on time. To do this, we need to make sure that data is readily available to all of our engineers, data scientists, and product managers.
Metromile is seeking a Systems Business Analyst to work with partners from across our company to support and grow our business. Your work in this role will directly affect our growth as we scale in new markets and the experiences our customers will have. Your work will enable us to launch business in new markets and set Metromile up for rapid expansion.
The ideal candidate is multi-talented across several fields; software engineering, business analysis, math, critical thinking, good business sense, great communication skills, passion for problem solving. This individual needs to be highly resourceful and intellectually curious with solid technical/analytical skills. The Technical Business Analyst must go beyond just running the numbers and be able to translate relevant information into actionable insights. This individual must strive to be well-rounded and good at many things from technical to business to operations to communication skills.
- Determine operational objectives of target users by studying business functions, gathering information, evaluating output requirements and formats
- Understand Business Requirements and be able to translate into use cases and functional specifications
- Design new software features; write software functional specifications including use cases, mockups, and workflow.
- Configure our claims management software
- Work on improving and enhancing our claims automation and crash detection capabilities, among other projects
- Assist in the development of data models mappings and integration specifications
- Create reference materials for implementation teams and users by writing and maintaining documentation
- Work with the claims and development teams to define solutions
- Collaborate with development teams to produce any required documentation or communications that may be necessary in support of the project including project status, project roadmap, release plan, etc.
- Participation in sprint planning, status reporting.
- Actively conduct presentations and training sessions
Required Skill and Experience
- Understanding of web services/microservices architecture, ability to decompose business functionality to a sequence of services, and vice versa, ability to compile business solution from available services
- Experience with API testing tools, understanding of JSON format
- Strong experience in Requirements management. Experience in writing use cases, constructing workflow charts and diagrams.
- Understand the Software development process and experience in Release planning and dependency management
- Experience in Unit Testing, Integration Testing and Acceptance Testing
- Any experience with Guidewire ClaimCenter is highly desirable.
- Any prior experience in Salesforce configuration and management is a nice to have.
- In Depth knowledge of Business Analyst fundamentals (BABOK) with CBAP.
What’s In It For You
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program and a culture that encourages using it (e.g., designated no-meeting days so teams can take flex holidays)
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (6 week paid sabbatical at 5 years)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.