- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
- Business Intelligence
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role:
The position of Data Analyst as part of our Data & Analytics team focuses on growth and retention for our consumers. This team is tasked with solving hard problems and creating great products. You will collaborate closely with product, actuarial, finance, and engineering teams to use data to uncover valuable insights, deliver reports, and recommendations. As the team builds delightful solutions for customers, your insights will influence the product roadmap and design.
A successful candidate will be both creative and technical, with a collaborative and resourceful style. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about business impact and loves to always dig just a little deeper into the data.
Opportunity - “Create fiercely loyal customers” - this is one of Metromile’s values. Every customer interaction / touch-point is a fantastic opportunity for us to learn more about our customers and better understand how we can serve their needs better. This role will help us along that journey, by using data and helping drive insights across different departments.
- Empower the Product and Finance teams with data and insights to enable timely decisions, support thoughtful improvement, and answer high priority user and business questions.
- Create and maintain insightful automated dashboards and data visualizations to track key business metrics and help deepen our understanding of user behavior.
- Build and share data access tools and processes that encourages semi-technical members to explore, slice, and dice data.
- Closely monitor funnel/usage trends as new product features are implemented and concisely report on impact to key stakeholders.
- Drive investigations on changes to performance, working closely with product owners to test hypotheses, synthesize a clear storyline and communicate across teams.
- Participate in quality assurance testing prior to product launches.
- Work closely with PMs to offer support in areas such as understanding user stories and acceptance criteria, communicating priorities to engineering, etc.
- 4+ years of experience in analytics, data science, business intelligence in a corporate setting
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an analytical discipline: statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, engineering, or other related field
- You live and breathe SQL, using it to build queries to extract and analyze data from web and mobile analytics
- Capable of communicating complex and complicated quantitative concepts to both technical non-technical stakeholders
- Experience in visualizing data, using visualization frameworks, APIs (like D3.js or packages in R, Python etc.) and BI tools like Tableau, Looker etc.
- Value A/B testing to validate hypotheses to influence product roadmaps.
- Bonus: Knowledge of R or Python for data mining and model building.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K - with employer match)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.