- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- May. 31, 2021
- Business Intelligence
- Financial Services
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role:
Metromile is looking for an Actuarial Analyst to join our growing team in San Francisco. As an Actuarial Analyst, you will help evolve the insurance product and perform analysis for assigned states.
- Analyzes pricing impact for implementation of new limits, programs, product launches and loss mitigation strategies
- Handles real-time coverage changes determines pricing impact, evaluates modifications to case reserving practices and implements required changes
- Maintains financial models to test, validate and monitor actuarial findings
- Works with Financial Infrastructure team to automate and enhance weekly/monthly reports
- Primary contact for Data Science and Analytics for claims and exposure data
- Ad hoc work and support for the actuarial team as needed
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and strong quantitative, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Must have ability to generate quality work product under tight deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Must be willing to embrace change and show flexibility in assignments and the work environment
- Must demonstrate problem-solving skills
- Moderate Excel skills and ability in relational databases Access and SQL Server
- 1 CAS Exams required
- 1+ years of Property and Casualty actuarial experience Private Passenger Auto experience a plus
- BA/BS in Math, Statistics, Economics, or related field
- Strong Excel and SQL skills; experience with PythonR and an interest in coding/automation preferred
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Equity awards available
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.