- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 15, 2021
- Data Science
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role
Metromile is on the cusp of implementing a new data warehousing solution, to help build the next generation of Data & Analytics platform. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn a lot and grow your career, while working in the cutting-edge space of using Telematics data to drive Insurance decisions.
Metromile is seeking an experienced Data Engineer with proven experience in designing data ingestion pipelines to join our Data & Analytics team. This role would contribute to the vision for data infrastructure and business intelligence tools, architect table schemas and data storage, upgrade our existing data infrastructure, implement new data engineering solutions, and work to gather and store new data from across the company to power our decision making processes.
This role would work predominantly with the Analysts, SME’s and other data engineers on the team, but would also allow for opportunities to architect how data is managed across the entire company, giving qualified candidates the chance to be involved in a large variety of projects. Because of the important role that data plays in making decisions within the company, this role is at the critical intersection of driving the future of our business while also ensuring that day-to-day operations continue to be successful.
- Design data models, data ingestion pipelines and scalable ETL / ELT processes.
- Collaborate with partners across business functions to define, implement and maintain vital business metrics.
- Architect database, data integration processes and table optimizations.
- Plan and establish data analytics roadmaps.
- Engage in self-driven investigation into new and upcoming technologies/techniques for data management and retrieval.
- 5+ years professional experience.
- Experience with tool-sets available in the Cloud (AWS / Azure / GCP etc) used for data storage and ingestion.
- Possess expertise in designing data ingestion pipelines.
- Strong software development fundamentals in Java or Python for building and shipping production data pipelines.
- Expert knowledge of databases, specifically relational (e.g. SQL), column store (e.g. Redshift/Snowflake).
- Familiarity with data serialization formats such as json, avro, and protobuf.
- Experience with configuration driven platforms (e.g. Airflow).
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with storage and processing of sensor data (for example GPS time series) from external systems.
- You have some experience with touch point/experimentation systems: Segment, Mixpanel, Optimizely
- Familiarity with data replication (MySQL, Postgres etc) and any solutions like StitchData or Fivetran.
- Experience with unstructured data(HBase/Cassandra).
- Experience implementing Enterprise Container Platforms like Docker.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K- with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.