- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- May. 25, 2021
- Data Science
- Financial Services
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role
Metromile is seeking a Data Scientist to work with partners from across our company to support and grow our business. Your modeling will draw on data resources from connected vehicles, model & web analytics data to predict key customer outcomes affecting car insurance such as claims, customer lifetime, and pricing decisions. If you are excited by the opportunity to explore diverse data sources in a collaborative and dynamic environment with a strong product focus then we’d love to hear from you.
Our company fundamentally turns on the modeling and understanding of risk and behavior, your work will directly drive our success. Data is not an ‘adjunct’ of our business, you will be at the very core of who we are and how we win
- Work with a diverse team of M.S. and Ph.D. level data scientists who enjoy learning new methodologies at our weekly data science seminar
- Own end-to-end data science projects from the discovery & exploration phase through to implementation of models in production
- Monitor the performance of your models prior to and following their release
- Track the impact of your work on our business
- Partner with core business functions (including engineering) to articulate and reach the right outcomes that incorporate business requirements with best-in-class data science principles & practices
- Use your models to influence business decisions across the business and gain support from executive leadership
- Degree in computer science. Advanced degrees are preferred. Degrees from a related fields like statistics, economics, applied math, operations research, physics or engineering also suitable.
- Prior experience modeling high-dimensional data for both regression and classification tasks
- Proficiency with SQL for writing efficient queries on large datasets
- Proficiency with Python, or another interpreted programming language like R
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners to build the business
Your prior experience was within the fintech, insurtech, or autonomous vehicle space
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
- Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.