- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 7, 2021
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. Our team is growing quickly across the country. We have offices in SF, Tempe and Boston and welcome remote workers across the country. Our customer experience, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insuretech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About The Role
This can be a 100% remote position
We are searching for the Manager of Accounting Operation and GL to oversee the general ledger and month end close, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and daily accounting operations. The role will play an integral part in Metromile’s growth and success and will be part of a savvy accounting team. To be successful in this role, you must have strong knowledge of GAAP, accounting processes, controls, and systems.
You should also have the ability to interact with all levels of management and cross-functional teams, as well as be able to operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment. We are looking for someone who is organized, self-motivated, has excellent problem solving and project management skills, and enjoys working with people in a challenging and fast-paced public company environment.
- Oversee timeliness and accuracy of month end and quarter end close including review and approval of journal entries, reconciliations, and month end flux
- Prepare journal entries and reconciliations for complex and high-risk general ledger areas
- Manage accounts payable function ensuring that vendor invoices and payments are processed in a timely, accurate, and SOX compliant manner
- Identify operational inefficiencies and areas for improvement, formulate and take action on recommendations in order to scale effectively
- Improve and continuously monitor effective SOX compliant internal controls over month end close, accounts payable, and other processes as assigned
- Assist with establishing and developing critical company accounting policies
- Coordinate accounting projects and initiatives with Metromile team members
- Manage and mentor direct reports, be an inspiring leader for other members of Metromile Accounting team as well as help scale accounting GL and operations team to support company growth
- Be a trusted business partner and advisor to various stakeholders within Finance and Accounting and across the company including Legal, Business, and Insurance
- Proactive liaise with external auditors to drive timely closure of PBC requests and auditor inquiries
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience with 1-2 years of managerial experience
- CPA preferred with a mix of public company and industry experience
- Excellent knowledge of U.S. GAAP and SOX standards, including the ability to research accounting literature, establish a position, and develop procedures for implementation
- Strong project management skills, ability to work independently and multi-task, meet deadlines, and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent Excel skills and competency with MSWord and PowerPoint
- Team player, works well within a group, and happy to take on responsibilities outside your role when needed
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to understand the business
Nice to haves
- Accounting experience in the Insurance industry
- Technical proficiency with one or more corporate financial/enterprise software packages and other accounting systems (eg: Netsuite, Intacct, Peoplesoft, Concur, Expensify, FloQast)
What’s in it for you
- Highly competitive salary
- Restricted stock units for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K - with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for childbirth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
If you are offered a position with Metromile, Inc. you will be required to successfully complete a background check. Metromile reserves the right to seek clarification of any alerts regarding your background check in order to confirm eligibility for employment.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.