- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. Our team is growing quickly across the country. We have offices in SF, Tempe and Boston and welcome remote workers across the country. Our customer experience, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insuretech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About The Role
This can be a 100% remote position
We are searching for the Head of SEC Reporting who will be directly responsible for managing the preparation of our SEC filings, including the 10-Qs, S-8’s, and 10-Ks. The role will play an integral part in Metromile’s growth and success and will be part of a savvy accounting team. In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to build the external reporting process from the ground up. This high impact role requires a passionate leader with a team player attitude.
- Establish and maintain the SEC reporting function including implementation of SEC reporting software, creation of 10-Q’s, 10-K’s, proxy statements, and other SEC financial reports
- Prepare forms 10-Q and 10-K including the compilation of the GAAP balance sheet, income statement, statement of stockholder’s equity and statement of cash flow, footnotes, management’s discussion and analysis, and all other components of SEC filings
- Research and explain quarterly and annual fluctuations in income and balance sheet accounts for consideration in earnings releases
- Collect, synthesize, and process edits received from management, auditors, and attorneys
- Prepare financial statement disclosure checklists on a quarterly basis to ensure completeness of financial statement disclosures
- Lead the Disclosure Committee including establishing the Committee policies and preparing the meeting materials
- Review iXBRL tagging in connection with Form 10-K and 10-Q filings performed by a third party
- Lead the evaluation of all proposed transactions for accounting and reporting implications
- Monitor new and pending accounting pronouncements and assess potential impact to company operations and financial statement reporting
- Proactively research, analyze, and benchmark the disclosures of peer companies, competitors, and industry trends
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls in relation to the Financial Reporting and Equity processes
- Review stock-based compensation activities, including performance-based awards as well as underlying assumptions and related expenses in compliance with authoritative guidance
- Oversee the outsourced stock administration function and be responsible for the reporting of all equity-based transactions, equity schedules, EPS calculations, and footnotes disclosures for SEC filings, along with support from the stock administrator
- Be a trusted business partner and advisor to various stakeholders within Finance and Accounting and across the company including Legal, Business, and Insurance
- Assist with establishing and developing company critical accounting policies
- Be a proactive liaison with external auditors to drive timely closure of technical accounting matters, quarterly reviews, and annual audits
- Active CPA with 7+ years of experience in accounting including a minimum of 1 year of experience with SEC reporting at a public company or Big 4 accounting firm with public clients
- Prior experience designing, implementing, and documenting financial reporting policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of U.S. GAAP, SOX, and SEC reporting standards, including the ability to research accounting literature, establish a position, and develop procedures for implementation
- Ability to interpret complex technical guidance and effectively present the Company’s accounting position both in written and verbal form
- Strong project management skills, ability to work independently and multi-task, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent Excel skills, competency with MSWord and PowerPoint
- Team player, works well within a group, happy to take on responsibilities outside your role when needed
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to understand the business
Nice to haves
- Financial reporting experience in the Insurance industry
- Knowledge of SEC reporting software such as Workiva
- Technical proficiency with one or more corporate financial/enterprise software packages (eg: Netsuite, Intacct, Peoplesoft)
What’s in it for you
- Highly competitive salary
- Restricted stock units for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K - with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
If you are offered a position with Metromile, Inc. you will be required to successfully complete a background check. Metromile reserves the right to seek clarification of any alerts regarding your background check in order to confirm eligibility for employment.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.