- Date Posted
- May. 18, 2021
- Financial Services
On the off chance you’ve thought about insurance, it’s likely because you’ve insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insuretech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About The Role
We are searching for an SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting Manager who will be directly responsible for managing the preparation of our SEC filings, including the 10-Qs, S-8’s and 10-Ks. The role will play an integral part in Metromile’s growth and success and will be part of a technical savvy accounting team. In this role you will have the unique opportunity to build the external reporting process from the ground up, support building Metromile’s technical accounting policies, and work on complex transactions by teaming with Legal and Business teams from negotiation to close. This high impact role requires a passionate leader with a team player attitude.
- Develop and maintain the financial reporting function including creation of 10-Q’s, 10-K’s, proxy statements, earnings releases and other forms of SEC financial reports
- Prepare and coordinate all internal financial reporting, quarterly and annual reports, including the information gathering process and required SEC filings
- Responsible for the compilation of financial statements, footnotes, management’s discussion and analysis and all other components of SEC filings, once public
- Be a trusted business partner and advisor to various stakeholders within Finance and Accounting and across the company including Legal, Business and Insurance
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls in relation to the Financial Reporting process
- Identify, analyze and apply technical guidance, enhance accounting memos, and provide training to internal Finance and Accounting group
- Monitor, assess and implement new accounting pronouncements applicable to the company and proactively partner with stakeholders to analyze the impact on the operational and/or financial performance of the company
- Review stock-based compensation activities, including performance based awards as well as underlying assumptions and related expenses in compliance with authoritative guidance
- Responsible for the reporting of all equity based transactions, equity schedules, EPS calculations, and footnotes disclosures for SEC filings, along with support from the stock administrator
- Be a proactive liaison with external auditors to drive timely closure of technical accounting matters and the annual audits
- Active CPA with 5+ years of experience in a technical accounting and financial reporting role
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with a public company or Big 4 accounting firm with public clients
- Prior experience designing, implementing, and documenting financial reporting policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including ability to research accounting literature, establish a position and develop procedures for implementation
- Ability to interpret complex technical guidance and effectively present the Company’s accounting position both in written and verbal form
- Strong project management skills, ability to work independently and multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent Excel/spreadsheet skills, competency with MSWord and PowerPoint
- Team player, works well within a group, happy to take on responsibilities outside your role when needed
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to understand the business
Nice to haves
- Financial reporting experience in the Insurance industry
- ASC 606 revenue recognition and ASC 842 experience
- Technical proficiency with one or more corporate financial/enterprise software packages (Netsuite, Intacct) What’s in it for you
- Highly Competitive salary
- Restricted stock units for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K- with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the role. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.